Old 05-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking

Hey 455z, is it a base for your kitchen table or in your chicken ie. firechicken ?

Old 05-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Senior Chief

It's resting safely till the new owner picks it up! I am making a 350 pontiac winerack though :O)!

Old 05-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Unhappy

It's a small Pontiac world ! A couple weeks ago, I went to look at a 455 that was advertised on the net in my area and it ended up being a 75 400, last weekend, I see that same motor hanging on the hook behind my neighbour's tow truck. I had to ask him where the engine was going to reside and, he told me it's for his Chebbie 4x4, the engine is supposed to be a runner with a newer cam but it's sitting outside uncovered with no intake or timing cover, on top of that it was pouring rain for 2 days, now the 400 is in need of a complete rebuild or it will run like a Chebbie ! Anyway I told him it's about time he makes the heartbeat in his truck and that he will be happy of the torque Pontiac motors provides...some guys !

Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 PM

Default Buick Regal w/ Poncho power

Lets hear some more swaps.
I did a swap years ago, early 90's. Piece of cake though in a daily driver 1979 Regal Limited (very light car), split pillowed bench seat, column shift, 14 inch Buick mags with whitewalls, originally weak weak pooch pooch 301 2bbl powered with a sloppy timing chain (easy drop in except the accesory brackets) fully loaded power everything. Used 78 W-72 shortblock forged 30 over flat tops, used 68 #16 heads (alredy milled & mild port work), new 041 cam with used 1.52 comp roller tip rockers, used RAIII exhaust manifolds (no headers for this application), first design used Torker intake with Used 750 double pumper, 2 1/4 duals with cats (passed emissions, not too hard), built TH-350, 2000 stall, used 2.73 posi rear (would have been really brutal at the track with 3.42 or 3.73, slicks & open exhaust) & working A/C & cruise to boot. This was an awesome luxury daily driver with huge top end 145 mph+ & mid to high 13 sec times at 95-100 coming through the traps in second gear around 6000 rpm. Imagine getting blown off by a 79 Regal with whitewall tires on it. Unfortunately the car was totaled by a cab blowing through a red that t-boned me. I put this car together with extra used stuff I had laying around. Super low budget less than 3k total investment. Car was purchased for $100.00 with less than 60k on it. I would like to do it again in a mid 80's GP or even a 2+2 GP with a 455 & 6X heads.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A Pontiac engine was involved in the space race.
Dan Whittmore built a 455 for a engineer/machinist who worked for a company who built parts for the NASA.Its the same company who made the seals that failed in the first space shuttle disaster.Forgive the spelling as I know it will not be right,Morten Thiekendal.
This guy was into Pontiacs and Vettes and had the income and the ability to do a lot.Anyway this happend after the cold war era when the U.S. and the Russians were working together and sharing information.
U.S. rockets are just lit off and they burn thier fuel,liquid or solid to get the thrust needed to do whatever the peticular job is.
Russian rockets are not just lit off,they have a throttle.There are large fuel pumps involved and one big throttle.
A few years ago this company was working with some Russian rocket tech and the needed a 400 HP engine to drive the pump or pumps for the rocket engine test.
This guy,a customer of Whittmores had a fresh 400 HP Pontiac 455 in his garage.
So having a bunch of master machinest around it was no big deal to adapt the Pontiac engine to the pump.
The work was done and the rocket was successfuly tested with Pontiac power.
True story,Pontiacs and the space race.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm presently installing my '73 400 based turbo built 406 into a really nice rust free '89 Turbo Supra. I have some pics but don't know how to get them on the site. I'm building the motor/trans mounts right now getting the final resting placement. I built the 400 for turbocharging several years ago but never assembled it. I was saving it for a project, found one. Right now I'm backing it up with a 200-4R and the Supra runs a 3:73 rear. I own an original '58 cast fuel injection manifold that looks like a tunnel ram with a plenum cast into it. I'm going to attempt to run the fuel injection with the turbo. I want it for a daily driver. Should be fun and different. Mark L

Old 05-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar
A Pontiac engine was involved in the space race.
Dan Whittmore built a 455 for a engineer/machinist who worked for a company who built parts for the NASA.Its the same company who made the seals that failed in the first space shuttle disaster.Forgive the spelling as I know it will not be right,Morten Thiekendal.
This guy was into Pontiacs and Vettes and had the income and the ability to do a lot.Anyway this happend after the cold war era when the U.S. and the Russians were working together and sharing information.
U.S. rockets are just lit off and they burn thier fuel,liquid or solid to get the thrust needed to do whatever the peticular job is.
Russian rockets are not just lit off,they have a throttle.There are large fuel pumps involved and one big throttle.
A few years ago this company was working with some Russian rocket tech and the needed a 400 HP engine to drive the pump or pumps for the rocket engine test.
This guy,a customer of Whittmores had a fresh 400 HP Pontiac 455 in his garage.
So having a bunch of master machinest around it was no big deal to adapt the Pontiac engine to the pump.
The work was done and the rocket was successfuly tested with Pontiac power.
True story,Pontiacs and the space race.
Very cool.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Poncho1961, I was told by a family friend that worked for Zone in Tarrytown, NY that GMC is Pontiac's line of trucks.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.