Old 03-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My dad wouldn't let me get a '67 GT500 that was for sale locally so I got a '65 GTO instead. "On these streets, you need something with more metal around you", he said. I have been into Pontiac ever since, although seeing any GT350 or GT500 still will get my attention too.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM

Drove my dad's 62 Buick LeSabre while in high school. Bought my first car after graduation, a 1965 Catalina convertible. It was yellow with black interior and black top. For my next car I ordered a 1969 black on black GTO.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Senior Chief

Default It's in the blood...

When I was born, I came home in a brand new '60 Catalina. It wasn't long until that car had an over-the-counter 389 SD and exhaust cutouts. I still remember listening to the sound when my Dad would uncap those cutouts in the driveway. I went with my Dad to drag races all over west Texas and eastern New Mexico. I got to see Eddie Hill's twin engine Pontiac dragster.

When I was a little older, I didn't really notice other car makes, but when I saw a Pontiac, especially the new models, I can remember that feeling of excitement. My first car was born the same year as me, 1960. It was a green Catalina just like my Dads. Mine only had a 389 2bbl, but I loved it. Once while at a friends house, my Dad came and got my car without telling me. I thought I was in big trouble. Turns out, he wanted it to build an asphalt circle track car. It wasn't long till I had a '71 Formula 455 4 speed. All was forgiven about the Catalina...

After many years and many other great Pontiacs, including Trans Ams, and Grand Prixs and now my two '63 Tempest projects, I wouldn't change my love of Pontiacs even if I wanted to. It's in the blood....

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
i was told my addiction is because of a genetic disorder.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Senior Chief

Default Pontiac guy by birth...

My dad worked at Pontiac Engineering as a designer from 1952 - 87. My mom worked there as a secretary until I was born. My uncle worked his whole career as an electrician in the plant attached to Pontiac's foundry (plant 9?) on the other side of the Pontiac compound. All of the cars my parents owned from the mid-1950's until 2009 were Pontiacs, except for one GMC pickup.

I hoped to inherit the gold-on-gold '67 Tempest my parents had, until my dad was sideswiped in it when I was 14 and promptly sold it for $100.

I worked at Pontiac as a designer for 3 summers while I was in college. Best job I ever had. Now it's part of the GM Powertrain building.

My mom is still mad at my dad for buying their '09 Malibu, instead of a last-year Pontiac. She told me she hates it - likes my G8 much better. Makes me smile...

John

Old 04-12-2013, 10:06 AM

I started life around the pontiacs in 1977. Dad had a 1955 Pontiac 4 door Star chief that I got brought home in. (he still has that car to this day). Dad has had an abundance of Ponchos over the years. If I had to estimate I would say around 2-300 pretty easily. He used to buy them when available and part them out if they were beyond repair and save the good stuff for himself. At the present time he has 60ish old Pontiacs and some are pretty rare. All need restos but there are a few drivers in the bunch. I bought a 1964 GP 389 auto car when I was a senior in HS and drove it for about a year before I needed something better on gas so I sold it to my dad. I am currently working on getting another old one from him. Its between a 1966 Bonneville 4 door hardtop, 1965 2+2 4 speed hardtop, 1967 Bonneville 4 door hardtop or a 1970 GTO auto hardtop car. They would all need some love but the 2+2 ran and drove when parked a few years back.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My dad bought my mom a brand new 1968 Pontiac Firebird when I was 3 years old. The rest is history as they say. Drove the car from the age of 16 to 18. Was trying to restore the car as I drove it. Wound up having a pretty bad wreck on the freeway having the car shift into reverse at about 70 mph. That pretty much killed that F body, but I would up getting a convertible after that at 23 and the addiction has stuck ever since. I'm 47 now.