Old 10-18-2010, 01:30 PM

Default '67 GP Transmission questions

Hi All,

I have two additional questions about my recently acquired '67 GP auto transmission convertible.

Where is the trans connection for the kick-down switch? and where is the back-up light connection?

My first classic Pontiac auto transmission car and I'm not sure where these connections are located. Nay help will be most appreciated.

Bruce

Old 10-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The kickdown switch is on the carburetor, I believe. the backup light switch is typically on the steering column under the dash on automatic cars with a column shift, but since this is a GP I imagine it has a floor shift and console? If that's the case the switch is probably under the console on the shifter linkage.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The kickdown switch is on the gas pedal linkage bracket, which bolts to the firewall with 2 bolts on a 67.

The backup/neutral switch is on the shifter under the console plate.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
The kickdown switch is on the gas pedal linkage bracket, which bolts to the firewall with 2 bolts on a 67.

The backup/neutral switch is on the shifter under the console plate.
+1 at least on my 400 / auto 67 GP

Old 10-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree the kickdown switch is on the gas pedal linkage bracket, and the back up light switch is on the shifter under the console. If it is a rare column shift car it would be under the dash on or near the column.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:09 PM

Thanks all,

Yes, I have the kick down switch under the accelerator pedal. It is not connected at all, terminals are exposed. Where do the connections go to? Some place on the transmission?

Bruce

Old 10-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You should have 12 volts going to the switch with the key on and when you floor the gas, 12 volts should come out the other terminal and go to the spade connector on the driver's side of the trans, above the pan.

Put the gas pedal to the floor to see if it actuates the switch. We had a 67 Executive that had no kickdown. When we floored the throttle, it didn't even come close to operating the switch. A little tweaking worked wonders.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:12 AM

Many thanks, Stevep.

I'll get to your recommendations this weekend. You gave me exactly what I needed. Let you know how I make out.

This Forum is simply great, with helpful, great folks.

Bruce

Old 11-07-2010, 11:34 AM

Thanks to all for the very helpful info. I connected the kick down switch to the trans solenoid on Tuesday. Wow!!! What a difference in performance and driveability. Feels like a rocket ship now. Really makes the 428 come alive.

I'll get to the B/U light switch over the Thansgiving holiday--- pesky work keeps getting in the way.

Thanks much again.

Schlitzman