Old 07-04-2003, 04:31 PM

Help!!!!!!!!!!
I am considering a frame off resto of my (1 of 68) 1978 Black S/E. I have many questions but the first is regarding the black paint.WHAT IS THE BLACKEST PAINT IN EXISTENCE? OEM Black for these cars is nothing less than magnificent. I understand OEM was Dupont, waterbased enamel (one stage). Dupont informed me they used a "Lamp Oil" Black!? OK. I understand there exists Black/brown (Ford), Black/yellow, Black/pink and a Black/blue (GM). I currently have a paint job some would die for, but, I am not happy. I recall the OEM paint job had a blue tint and believe the blackest of paints would have a blue tint. Perhaps this is related to a new white shirt owing its brilliance to a tinge of blue. Can anyone correct my findings and offer me what I can do to achieve a Paint Job that is just "dripping black". So you know I have been asking the same question for over ten years. Any suggestions of Clear coating need not respond.
Very respectfully,

A contributer to the hobby.

Brian, Owner
Phoenix Graphix

Old 07-04-2003, 04:31 PM

Help!!!!!!!!!!
I am considering a frame off resto of my (1 of 68) 1978 Black S/E. I have many questions but the first is regarding the black paint.WHAT IS THE BLACKEST PAINT IN EXISTENCE? OEM Black for these cars is nothing less than magnificent. I understand OEM was Dupont, waterbased enamel (one stage). Dupont informed me they used a "Lamp Oil" Black!? OK. I understand there exists Black/brown (Ford), Black/yellow, Black/pink and a Black/blue (GM). I currently have a paint job some would die for, but, I am not happy. I recall the OEM paint job had a blue tint and believe the blackest of paints would have a blue tint. Perhaps this is related to a new white shirt owing its brilliance to a tinge of blue. Can anyone correct my findings and offer me what I can do to achieve a Paint Job that is just "dripping black". So you know I have been asking the same question for over ten years. Any suggestions of Clear coating need not respond.
Very respectfully,

A contributer to the hobby.

Brian, Owner
Phoenix Graphix

Old 07-04-2003, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't have an answer 4 u, but just wanted to say welcome, neighbor! You might want to repost in the "body shop" section - it might get more attention from some of the experienced body guys on this board.

Welcome aboard!

"...ridge reamer and ring compressor? Do they have tools like that?"