Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:07 AM

Default 1970 Firebird Twin Turbo

Hello. I am new to this forum and thought I would share a build I finished a few months ago in time for the SEMA show.

We recently put the engine on a resistance dyno to completely dial it in. It produced 1012 hp and 950 lbs/tq at 5600 rpm and 12.72 lbs boost and pump gas. I think I'll keep it there for now as I learn how to drive this beast. Here’s a link to that dyno pull:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsNyy...&feature=email

Here’s also a tour of the finished product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f93GC...eature=related

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Watched the two vids. I've owned a '72 Tans Am/automatic I bought off the floor, later a '72 Formula 455 HO/M-22, and a custom painted ex-show car '73 trans Am originally std 455 automatic. I really love the mods to the Formula hood. Although they are not helping intake air due to the turbos but they would be great on an N/A Formula. Is it possible that you are looking to produce this type of car as a full turn key car? Or produce some of th eparts? If so I would think it would be very popular items to those that can afford them. Nice, nice car. Turbos and EFI are the way to go for a street friendly power house motor. Love the car. Mark L

Old 02-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some of us have been watching the build for a while: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=640390

Amazing metalwork and good execution of the concept shown in the rendering. I would have really liked to see the rear flares make the final cut. However, I am glad the roof and trunk depressions did. The engine is equally amazing especially the CNC billet intake.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very very nice build! Thanks for sharing.

It would seem the enlarged formula snorkels would help the underhood temps. Hope they dont shortcut the air for the intercooler.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Damn, thought I had the only 70 firebird turbo! lol. Looks great! nice job.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Suspended

Well, you probably DID have the only 70 turbo bird Mike.....until a couple of months ago...lol. Tom managed to have that car built in a few short months before he brought it to SEMA. Good to see you over here from pro-touring.com Tom, I enjoyed watching the car come together. Now its time to enjoy it!

Old 02-20-2011, 09:44 AM

Here's some build pics of the engine before we finished all the plumbing. Should have some great video this week in advance of the Run To The Coast next weekend. Thanks for all the great comments. I am looking forward to enjoying this beast.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice! Welcome to the board!

Making CVWHAT's great again. I guess it took a deplorable ECM member to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cox View Post
Holly cow we must be some dume corn huskers here in indiana or somthing!!!

Fastest Blow-thru Pontiac powered car in the Country 8.440@166.97 (3465lbs)

Fastest Pontiac CV-1 car on the planet with only 6 passes on the combo: 4.80@147.65/ 7.49@180.12MPH (3365lbs)
Old 02-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Very impressive. How do you like the high ports?

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 02-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Real nice work. First time I have seen that extensive custom body mods on a firebird. very cool.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The whole engine is amazing! I really like the valve covers, fuel rails, and intake. Do you have any shots of the exhaust manifolds? I'm curious if you went with logs or header style?

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 03-20-2011, 09:04 AM

It’s been a while since the last post but we’ve had a ton of fun the last couple of months. The car has been in S. Cal since the beginning of the year where Dick from Best of Show and car guys (and pro skaters) Josh Kalis and Nick Dompierre helped with the initial break in. They also ran it at RTTC2 and had a great time. Due to having the completely wrong tires it will not connect in 1st or 2nd. I’ve attached a few videos where you can see Nick pushing the first two gears hard but it finally connected in 3rd. Solution – a pair of Nitto’s widest NT05’s get mounted on Monday and we are going to set up the front suspension a bit more aggressive for additional autocross events this summer. We are also adding a DSE sway bar to the quadralink in the rear. The car is heavy but with these tweaks and some more time behind the wheel we should be competitive. I live 10 miles from Grattan Raceway and will be spending some time out there getting to know the car. Other than a few minutes in Dec., I haven’t driven it yet and cannot wait. It ships back to MI next week!

So far we will be running at Run to Music City (Nashville) in May, Motor State Challenge (Michigan) in June, Goodguys Nationals (Columbus) in July and the Performance Car Challenge (Joliet) in July. Hope to see some of you there!

Here are some pics of Kalis’ Camaro that was featured in this month’s Camaro Performers and the Firebird. Kalis and Dompierre been having fun doing the local S. Cal events. I’ve also included a few clips of the RTTC2 event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYkEabgk0rQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ktXH...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il4N2...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHLQu...eature=related

The Following User Says Thank You to tcronkright For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Suspended

For those of you guys just tuning in here you are missing TONS of pics and info on this car that Tom presented over on pro-touring.com

I mean pics of the scalloped roof and trunk lid on the car, the custom metal work done to all the bodywork (the rear spoiler, front spoiler, valance...all custom metal), widening the front fenders, CNCing of the intake & throttle body. For those of you interested in looking back to the start of the build and more of everything here's the link.

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...in-Turbo-Build

Glad you are enjoying it Tom!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:52 PM

Here’s a few more pictures of the car from last week.

Also, Josh and Nick brought the cars to Cars and Coffee in Carlsbad on Saturday. Here’s a few pictures from that event.
http://s409.photobucket.com/albums/p...view=slideshow

Old 04-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love the car but with all that custom body work you didnt adress the ONE thing I hate about second gens. Its one of very few cars built where the windshield post @ pillar doesnt meet with the top of the fender of the car. Drives me nuts with this body style.LOL

I love the pro touring stance though, I want to do a 69 vert one of these days.

Of course it would have to be turbo charged!

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 04-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Come on guys I thought I would have stirred thsi trhead up a little with that post?

Old 04-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Suspended

Well, you may be the only one who dislikes them for that reason Jeff. No clue how it would look otherwise, but I dont think thats the kind of thing most would think to change with some body mods.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:25 AM
Senior Chief

Great Job! From start to finish! It's nice to see you didn't wimp out and put in a corporate LS motor in it! BTW....Welcome to the board!

Last edited by Milepost; 04-10-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronhk_md View Post
Well, you may be the only one who dislikes them for that reason Jeff. No clue how it would look otherwise, but I dont think thats the kind of thing most would think to change with some body mods.
Yeah its one of those details I think very few people actually notice but if ou look into the design of automobiles through the years I think you'll find that most tend to meet the top of the fender with the windshield post. It just looks right.

Ive always wanted to build on that way and see how many people notice it. The curve of the windshield probably got rid of a blind spot or something who knows maybe the thing would pass safety standard testing as is....

It weird they(factory) didnt do it that way though. It would have been a better looking car IMO.

picture that bad beast with the windshield swept farther forward on the bottom to meet that fender ! bad azz ride!

Old 07-29-2011, 06:28 PM

DUDE!!! Bought the Sept 2011 issue of Popular Hot Rodding, and i was blown away by the quality of your car. The true Pontiac fans out there should be really proud of your Firebird build. ( Hint, hint, Goldberg! ) If there are other Pontiac powered projects in your future, please keep your fans informed. Thanks, Homer.