Old 05-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Who's Having 11 Bolt Divider Plate Problems

I appolgise and didn't mean to leave you guys out. I'm just finding out some of you are having problems, of which I hadn't realised. I thought things were fine with the 11 bolt pumps and plates.

Any of you have problems with the clearance for the impeller and divider plate please let me know here..... for SS replacements and originals.

Also I'd like to know if the impellers have been shaved on any nonoriginal 11 bolt pumps. Cardone can then look into this too.

Charles and I can then let Cardone and Ames know what's going on and try to get things sorted out like the 8 bolt pumps.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Count me in Gary as you know my Milodon aluminum water pump was gapping hit my somewhat rusted divider plat to match. So I need a 11 water pump and plate that is correct.

79 Trans AM 406 #12 heads Torker II intake Crower 60210 750 holley vac. sec. T400 3500 Stall 3:73:1 rear. ECMTTFMFers. IHTTFMFers.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Got that Conrad... thanks.

Here's what I've found out from Ames today. They are saying that they are not the only Makers of the divider plates [8 amd 11 bolt]... there are other manufacturers doing them too. Who they are is unknown to me at the point in time. Hopefully I can eventually find out who they are. I'm pretty sure PY gets there's only from Ames but that's not known either..... I will find out tho.

Charles and I talked to Cardone this morning and they need to get plates. Charles is going o find out which ones... originals and/or SS reproductions of both, or which ones exactly. My impression was they had the originals for the 8 and 11 bolt pumps left for them at the meeting we had at Cardone back in March.

So anyone having problems with these plates, can you let me know where your reproduction plates came from and where your replacement pump came from please.

Not all parts stores sell Cardone pumps. I know Conrad has a Milodon pump that has the shaved impellers and his original 11 bolt plate won't work with is as it is.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 05-20-2011, 12:06 AM
Suspended

Seems to me that the divider plates were being made in Australia...for the 11 hole jobber

Old 05-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontirag View Post
Seems to me that the divider plates were being made in Australia...for the 11 hole jobber
Not sure on that, but I'm thinking Taiwan. Ames won't say just where but they are imported.

Actually I don't care where they come from as long as they're correct. Tho the stainless steel is good stuff.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 05-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default pumps and plates for '72 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I appolgise and didn't mean to leave you guys out. I'm just finding out some of you are having problems, of which I hadn't realised. I thought things were fine with the 11 bolt pumps and plates.

Any of you have problems with the clearance for the impeller and divider plate please let me know here..... for SS replacements and originals.

Also I'd like to know if the impellers have been shaved on any nonoriginal 11 bolt pumps. Cardone can then look into this too.

Charles and I can then let Cardone and Ames know what's going on and try to get things sorted out like the 8 bolt pumps.
Gary,

My water pump started leaking out of the weep hole a couple of months back. I ordered a new water pump and a stainless steel divider plate, in case I found a rotten plate when I tore it down, from PY. When the package arrived it contained a stainless and standard divider plate with no pump. I called PY and was informed that they were out of "new" pumps so I got them to ship me a rebuilt unit instead. Well that was a mistake. First of all the gap between the plate and pump was huge. I had to beat down a plate to fit so I used the stainless one so as not to destroy the one on my car. The water pump that was on my engine was a stamped steel unit so it is possible that the plate was not original either but I wanted to save it just in case. This rebuilt pump lasted less than three weeks and 500 miles before it began to leak itself!!! I was not going to return the pump and try again because of the difficulty of changing it. I've had two surgeries on my lower back so it is a two to three day operation to change a water pump depending on pain levels.

I called Ames and they had new water pumps with cast impellers so I ordered one. The gap between the Ames impeller and the divider plate that was on my car when I originally tore it down was right at .060" with the gasket. So far I have around 500 miles on the new one with no problems. Whether or not the impeller has been "shaved" I wouldn't know because I don't have an original pump to compare it to.

Karl