Old 05-04-2011, 12:20 AM

Default 67 Firebird heater motor replacement

My heater motor starts squealing sometimes so I have decieded to replace it. I have searched some of the other posts on this subject and have found different answers to this fix. My car is non AC and The paint is only about two years old and my manual says to remove hood fender wheel well to do this. I just hate the thought of going threw all that and trying not to scratch anything and get it all lined back up when finished. Can someone tell me the easiest way to change this out.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:33 AM

No other way unfortunately, some guys have reported being able to remove all the fasteners and pull the fender out far enough to get access...don't know, never tried. A common procedure at the dealers back in the day was to cut an access hole in the inner fender well and remove it that way...not an option for most of us though.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3323983
Old 05-04-2011, 10:50 AM

I had a older guy telling me about his car that that a dealership cut a hole in the wheel well to replace the heater motor then weld it back on. Ya not a option on my car either. Don't take the car out when it's cold so it may have to wait. Just nice to have everything working on the car.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Manual says remove hood then fender and skirt as an assembly to gain access.

Easiest way on my GTO.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Senior Chief

Talking 67 Firebird heater motor replacement

Remove the bolts from the motor housing and lay the assembly on the fender well, and then separate them by removing the large nut in the center of the squirrel cage. Then take each piece out separately over the wheel well. Not easy, but it's doable!
If your heater core isn't leaking this is waaaaaaaay easier than having to remove the entire heater housing!

Old 05-04-2011, 05:57 PM

I had replaced the core awhile back, so it's good. Just wish I had done this while the car was all apart in the paint shop but the heater motor was not making any noise before then. A good lesson to anyone who has the fenders off, a good time to spend a few bucks and replace the heater motor and core while it's right in your face.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My fender well already had a large half moon cut in it when I got if for that very purpose. It had a screw and tab affair for securing it in place. I left it like that. A little black roofing sealant hides the cut without a problem from the wheel side and it's not visible from under the hood... I will say though, I doubt that I would have done it myself had it not already been that way.
67ramair4's idea of disassembling it in place sounds intriguing. I'd probably try that. Nothing to lose but some time.