Old 01-23-2019, 02:17 PM
Senior Chief

Default Weatherstrip...for the umpteenth time

Need to replace the weatherstrip on my '71 Firebird project. Consensus implies that Metro is perhaps the best option. The local NPD location has a brand from a company called Precision. Does anyone have any experience with this weatherstrip brand good or bad? Thanks for the input.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:32 PM
Senior Chief

Cannot comment on Precision, but there are differences between brands. Years ago for my 76TA I replaced all the weather-stripping from a Firebird supplier and all stayed good except the door weather-stripping that looked "old" from the get-go. The fall of 2016 I replaced the door weather-stripping (again) from Metro (Metro Moulded SUPERsoft Basic Weatherstrip Kits RKB2001-105), it went on well, looked great and still does. Very happy with the Metro product, adding to your consensus.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:02 PM

Looks like Ames still carries NOS at least for the passenger side.
When I got my '73 a few years ago it had brand new door weatherstrips, but they were so hard that the doors would barely close. I bought new latex ones from The Parts Place in Illinois. They were not cheap, like $160 a pair, but I am very happy with them. Extremely soft and pliable compared to the rubber ones.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:10 PM
Senior Chief

I have seen some comments that the latex weatherstrip was failing. Not sure if that was from Parts Place or somewhere else.

Surely someone here has purchased some of NPD's Precision brand and not necessarily for a Firebird that could comment on the quality. If not, I may be the first.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklinger View Post
I have seen some comments that the latex weatherstrip was failing. Not sure if that was from Parts Place or somewhere else.

Surely someone here has purchased some of NPD's Precision brand and not necessarily for a Firebird that could comment on the quality. If not, I may be the first.
Never heard of that brand. I bought Metro for all three of my projects.

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 02-06-2019, 04:48 AM

I restore a lot of tri 5 Chevrolets, and Precision rubber products make quality window seals and weather stripping for those models. My glass guy prefers the Precision window rubber to other brands. They used to be located about 10 miles from where I live (Monroe, WA), but they apparently bought out a company in Wisconsin that had a better manufacturing facility. I can't vouch for their F-body stuff, though.

Dave

Old 02-06-2019, 08:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Summit carries the Metro brand at a great price.

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over
Old 02-07-2019, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Best price on Metro is SGG Secondgenerationgraveyard.com > John & Lisa Hurd
Also works facebook with same name.