Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Stuck Moving Tripower Carb Parts

Hi Guys,

Have a few rochester 2bbl tripower carbs that are stuck. What is the best soaking solution to free the stuck moving parts?

Thanks,
Mark

1965 GTO: 467 (Built By Dan Willever), 400 Block, Eagle 4.25 Stroke, Eagle 6.8 Rods, BRC Pistons, Custom Grind Hydraulic Roller Cam, Edelbrock 72cc Heads Ported, HS Rockers, Doug's Headers, Edelbrock Victor 4150, QTF 850 Carb, TCI Flex plate, AutoGear M22 4 Speed, SPEC Clutch and Pressure Plate, 12 Bolt 3:73 Posi.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Diesel bath.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:00 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Old-time (thirty years ago) carb solvent. Not a "green" product, so you can no longer buy it. It removes EVERYTHING except metal. Of course, you'd need to totally disassemble the carbs down to just bare metal pieces before soaking.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Depends on which parts are stuck.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Well...
Diesel or automatic trans fluid are the first two things to try.

They usually work.
If corrosion is involved....Lysol toilet bowl cleaner is a mild acid. It is the blue gel liquid that you squirt under rim of your toilet.
If you need to use it, put a small amount where it needs to be applied, watch the part, do not let it set too long, (as in over 5 minutes, or maybe less) and rinse the stuff off w/ hot water, to see what has happened, repeat one or more times if needed. BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

DO NOT leave the part unattended, with the cleaner in contact w/ the part!!!
The stuff could eat into more than you want it to...it seems to attack the less stable corroded metal first, but will also degrade the good metal also, if left in contact too long.

I am currently trying to salvage a Q-Jet from a 73 400, it's starting to look like door stop material, but I'm not done yet.... this one got rained on for years, out in the open......

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 11-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

I think I will try the toilet bowl cleaner first, because that will be the easiest to get rid of.

If I use the diesel fuel than I have to figure out where to discard. Where I live it is hard enough to get rid of motor oil from doing your own oil change. This country wants you to recycle but no one to take the stuff.

Will try next week and post results.

Trying to get the butterflies moving.

Mark

1965 GTO: 467 (Built By Dan Willever), 400 Block, Eagle 4.25 Stroke, Eagle 6.8 Rods, BRC Pistons, Custom Grind Hydraulic Roller Cam, Edelbrock 72cc Heads Ported, HS Rockers, Doug's Headers, Edelbrock Victor 4150, QTF 850 Carb, TCI Flex plate, AutoGear M22 4 Speed, SPEC Clutch and Pressure Plate, 12 Bolt 3:73 Posi.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65gto69 View Post
Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

I think I will try the toilet bowl cleaner first, because that will be the easiest to get rid of.

If I use the diesel fuel than I have to figure out where to discard. Where I live it is hard enough to get rid of motor oil from doing your own oil change. This country wants you to recycle but no one to take the stuff.

Will try next week and post results.

Trying to get the butterflies moving.

Mark

advance auto still takes the stuff FYI !

Old 11-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it is the butterflies that are stuck; then the best method is to remove the throttle body from the rest of the carburetor, and apply heat to the cast iron with an acetylene torch. Heat the cast iron evenly. DO NOT QUENCH IN WATER; let it cool naturally. Once it has cooled, place the throttle body in a ziplock bag in your freezer overnight. The next morning, place the cold throttle body in diesel or the penetrating oil of your choice. Let it set a few hours and then gently work the shaft.

Don't use this approach to the other (zinc alloy) body parts.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.