Old 06-10-2003, 01:29 PM

i have a 56 pont,and someone gave me a ta,
the idea of a relatively modern suspension
is appealing, i have the front clip off, but not the body. any tips or experience would be appreciated.thanks

Old 06-10-2003, 01:29 PM

i have a 56 pont,and someone gave me a ta,
the idea of a relatively modern suspension
is appealing, i have the front clip off, but not the body. any tips or experience would be appreciated.thanks

Old 06-11-2003, 05:39 AM
Senior Chief

Good move, but don't chop & butt weld. Try to slide one inside the other. This will usually involve "splitting" the original (56) frame with a torch lengthwise so you can slide the TA subframe in, on or around the original. Measure carefully and you'll end up with a great package.

Old 06-11-2003, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Dicks right, dont butt weld it. If you overlap it, your work will be stronger. I have a friend who is doing just what you asked about with a '56 s/w.
I did it on my '61 Catalina conv. Since the '61 has a perimeter frame, I measured different later Pontiacs to find what would work best. I decided on using the '73-'77 GP/ Lemans sub frame and over lapped the two frames the same way. These '73-'77 mid sized cars have the same control arms, brakes and spindles as a T/A so I just have to swap in the sway bar and st box and have T/A handling. For the rear to have the same 4 3/4" bolt pattern as the front I just had some axles redrilled for the smaller bolt pattern.
Another project that has been delayed because of race car projects ( Hey, I have my priorities LOL) is another '61 Safari that will use a front subframe off of a '78 Bonneville Safari. As measured, it will fit and give me the advantages of 12" front brake rotors and it uses the 5 on 5 pattern like the '61. Good luck with your project and I'm glad you are going to improve that '56. Steve www.pontiacheaven.org

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 06-19-2003, 07:47 PM

Hey buds56
Keep us informed on the project, I am planning same on my '57 Safari. I was even looking at substituting a whole car frame of same wheelbase as my body mounts are rusted away.
Has anybody heard or seen a whole body transplant on a modern frame?
Dave

Old 06-22-2003, 12:27 PM

thanks for the help.i will try to keep some info coming. right now the clip is in front of the car and i am tape measuring everything 100 times before i make the first cut. thanks again

Old 02-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Senior Chief

Ok Bud..you were going to try this last June, 2003. I'd be interested in knowing how it turned out. Contemplating the very same swap under by 41 as a close friend and clubmember did it under his 40 sedan...

Roll around in the excitement

Old 02-26-2004, 05:49 PM

the swap worked out well so far.the subframe is in and welded. i put the fenders on with a couple of bolts and the tire spacing looks excellent[width and placement in the fenders]with the stock rally wheels.
i cut the frame just in front of the body mount on the firewall and removed the inner channel. the subframe just fit inside the outer channel , i removed alot of the front x member and cut a piece of angle to box the frame and fit it to the top of the sub and meet the remainder of the x. on the bottom of the sub and the frame there was approximately a half to three quarter gap between the sub and frame so i took a piece of angle and welded it along the bottom edge of the sub and the bottom of the frame and the top where i could to help make it strong. the car sits straight. i used a 64 gp column with u-joint to the box,mounted the booster to the firewall the front of the sub is not cut yet to fit the stock rad support and bumper.right now i'm halfway through fixing the floors pretty much at a standstill due to time[not enough of it]
if anyone needs a 316 4bll with a hydro they can have it,
its just sitting in the garage
hope this is helpful bud

Old 02-26-2004, 06:15 PM

looks like you had a busy day bud!!! whad'ya do after lunch???

Old 02-26-2004, 08:56 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Bud.. reaffirms my faith in subframing old ponchos. Wish I was closer to Va. I'd love to have the 316 and the 4 speed hydro.

Roll around in the excitement

Old 04-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a similar situation, I have a 68 GTO that was totaled in the back end over 20 yrs ago and havn't had the heart to get rid of it. Has anyone ever used a a-body front end on a 55-57?I have a 55 Chieftain and considering subframing the front.What steering column would you use?Also would front steering knuckles from a front steer nova 75-79 work on the GTO?Thanks in advance , Bill.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 04-13-2004, 12:17 PM

i used a 64 gp column because i didn't want a key on the housing and i used the shaft out of the 56 with the end cut at the box,this left enough sticking out of the column to put a borgenson joint to the shaft that went to the box. there is a nice article on hotrodders.com about subframes in the knowledge base. i would tape measure everything and use what you can. i'm going to try a link for subframes http://50chevy.freeservers.com/Subframe.htm

Old 04-14-2004, 05:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Iv'e been to that site before, thats what gave me the idea. Iv'e also seen similar articles on modifying a 55-57 chevy column for a 605 conversion, but didn't know if the column was the same for the Pontiac steering column. I can get a column out of a 65 Lemans that has a floor shifter.I believe the key is in the dash. How much work was the wiring switchover from the GP column or any column for that matter?Bill.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 05-14-2004, 06:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm working on a 56 wagon as well. It has a 78 T/A subframe in it. I used the stoch steering column to keep it stock looking and used 2 joints with a double D shaft. I installed the engine and trans ( dual quad 455 HO, 2004R) to see how it fits and it sits way to far forward. The frame has to be situated as to keep the tires centered in the wheel wells which means that the 2nd Gen frame is moved way forward. I have enough room at the firewall to sit on the trans. I'm going to pull the engine & trans back out and build some frame mounts that will shift the engine back about 8 inches and then continue.

Old 05-15-2004, 05:00 PM

Hey Steve, azbirds just happens to be that friend with the '56 wagon and a 2nd gen subframe mated to the frame. My wagon has taken a back seat to Steve's priorities too, LOL! I also have a 2nd gen firebird that will have it's subframe mated to a '63 Safari. Azbirds was done first class, I've seen it first hand. Definately have a professional welder do the work, it's worth the bucks!

Old 05-18-2004, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a question. Why subframe a 1963? They accept disc brakes, have ball joint suspension, and can use bigger sway bars.