Old 08-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Hey Rich -
Love those 04 Z16 Z06s. That LeMans blue with the silver/red striping is killer, especially with the carbon fiber showing through on the hood. I've got one on my wish list.

BJ
Sorry Rich and Jason - meant to address this post to Jason.

BJ

Old 08-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you BJ! Its got a whopping 8700 miles now. If I wasn't working on the Judge all the time, I'd be able to drive it more. Check out Z16.org there's a ton of info on there about them.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason67 View Post
Thank you BJ! Its got a whopping 8700 miles now. If I wasn't working on the Judge all the time, I'd be able to drive it more. Check out Z16.org there's a ton of info on there about them.
I found that website a few years ago! I'll get one one of these days. My G8 GXP does pretty good in the meantime!

BJ

Old 08-28-2011, 06:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

BJ, that GXP is an awesome car! This is #910 of 2025, I know that number is substantially less now, I've seen alot of them wrecked. Those carbon fiber hoods aren't easy to find.

Last edited by Jason67; 02-27-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice looking Z16 Jason. You're right about the hoods. I really wish they had offered that CE paint combo in a 'vert. My wife and I are in a debate about buying a Corvette without a drop top. I want the Z16 Z06 and she wants a 'vert. So, I was looking at the CE 'verts and thinking, O.K, I'll just find a carbon fiber hood and stripes for the rear deck and make one. I found several very quickly. I actually like that lighter color Shale interior and top on the 'verts. I'd have to add a set of Z06 wheels and the brake cooling vents to complete the look but that would give us both what we want!

BJ

Old 08-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you BJ. If you get a stripe kit, just put it on the stock hood. The carbon fiber doesn't show through the hood, it's part of the decal. All stock carbon fiber hoods are painted front and back, with the decal on top of the paint. The only way to tell the difference between the carbon fiber hood and a stock hood is to lift one, its 20.5 pounds, 34% lighter than the glass. The shale interiors are very sharp!

Old 12-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Some Progress

Got the exhaust installed. Master cylinder and holdback valve restored, all of the stainless and aluminum trim polished. Waiting for the chrome to come back, sent out the headlight bezels, turn signal cross hairs, door handles & pushbuttons, and original chrome tips. Getting the bodywork lined up.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I went to Jim Lehart, Central Viriginia Machine(MrPbody), and purchased my entire valve train through him based on my 614 heads and stroker motor. Its a comp cams custom solid roller, .565 Int .570 Exh gross lift, 110 lobe separation. The reason I went with it was mainly his advise, and he has done this combo in a stroker with 722 heads and runs well on 91 octane. My compression ratio is 9.4:1. Ken Keefer, Ken's Speed and Machine (PDude) supplied my rotating assembly, forged crank, forged rods, custom pistons.

Believe me, I fought a battle with myself on using the original RA IV guts I have, or going with a stroker and roller cam. This isn't an original IV car anyway, and I didn't bore the SR block or alter the 614 heads, so I went with more power and torque. I plan on restoring the original numbers drivetrain after the car is finished and DRIVING this one!

Anyway, its mind boggling the amount of cam info and opinions, my advise would be to talk to Jim or Ken, they both sell custom hydraulic and solid rollers that they've used in their builds. Both are great guys and an absolute wealth of knowledge.
You went to the right guy for the engine - - Jim did a Pure Stock Drags build in my IV and did a RAIII stroker for me as well. Also did a 67 HO stock-ish rebuild for a buddy of mine.

Scott

Old 12-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
You went to the right guy for the engine - - Jim did a Pure Stock Drags build in my IV and did a RAIII stroker for me as well. Also did a 67 HO stock-ish rebuild for a buddy of mine.

Scott
bringing back memories, now! Those IV cars are fun to play with! We did a similar project with the last red one...stroker, roller and dropped the compression. Went with a grind that would "scrub off" some bottom end to give those Redlines a shot! Folks looked at us like we were stupid...one for racing the car in the first place and two for sayin' it was gonna go 12's on Wide Oval tires with full stock exhaust! Car went a 13.09 first pass with my son driving. I made the next pass and shaved a full .10th off...giving us the 12.XX...but she drove right through the clutch in 3rd gear...so no time slip. All this with 3.55 gears! Anyway...had them shakin' their heads the whole time. Anyone can get a car down the track with slicks! Sorry for the rant...but like I said initially...takes me back! Have fun! Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	44229_Interior_T.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	268654   Click image for larger version

Name:	51354457.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	268655  

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm hoping to have similar results, should be a tire shredding first drive when I get it all together

Old 05-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Fired up the motor

I finally fired the motor I assembled, man this thing is a beast! Makes me want to put some planks on the frame and go for a ride

Warmed the motor up, set the timing, idle, and dwell. Drained the straight water and added anti-freeze, changed the oil after several 30 minute runs. Using 15W-40 Rotella. No excuses now but to do the bodywork.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats on getting her fired up Jason - big milestone and motivation to finish it now!

BJ

Old 06-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you BJ!

All the original chrome I sent off back as well, the cost was scary, but the parts sure are pretty. The original tips came out awesome, with the part numbers on the underside crisp and clear.

Found a beautiful original 70 RA IV carb pan and installed it, so now both the heat riser ports are functional.

I hope this thing runs on the road as wicked as it sounds in the garage

Old 06-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Anyone ever hear of ICP Crown Industries? I have a set of front and rear seat covers made by them with "real" comfortweave inserts. Looks like the company went out of business or quit making the interiors in early 2000. Its good to have a set of full comfortweave

I reupholstered my drivers seat using Legendary. Came out very nice. I wanted to practice with it before using the ICP comfortweave. Still need to scrub the original passenger seat. Second pic is the ICP with real comfortweave.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No Knowledge out there on ICP Crown?

Old 06-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

They were here in Lewistown Pa. , now out of business. I heard they made the correct blue 70 Trans Am upholstery as well.Seems a shame but there were alot of other manufacturing businesses around that closed too.Is comfortweave still available from SMS Auto in Oregon?

Old 06-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I thought SMS had sold all of the comfortweave they had out?

Old 07-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What color are the original vacuum modules inside the air cleaner? I ended up with a repro that is white, pretty sure the orginals were black. Trying to find an original working one. Also, were the valve cover breather holders black or white originally?

Got the rechromed original tips on, I know the portion that goes over the tailpipe is originally bare metal, but I couldn't rechrome it that way. Got the part numbers on the underside.

Appreciate any help.

Last edited by Jason67; 02-27-2016 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
What color are the original vacuum modules inside the air cleaner? I ended up with a repro that is white, pretty sure the orginals were black. Trying to find an original working one. Also, were the valve cover breather holders black or white originally?
All of the original modules that I have seen were black so I assume that all were black. I'll bet that you can find one--I've seen a couple of NOS ones a while back.

I am unclear to what you are referring when you say valve cover breather holders--sorry. (The tube is held in the valve cover with a black rubber gommet and the tube is held in the lower pan with a short piece of black hose.)

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Senior Chief

Default 70 Tips

I have noted that the original production exhaust tips had no part numbers on them, though the over the counter GM replacements did -just an FYI.