Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-23-2022, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Happiness happens with new 3/8 fuel line runs, with a 3/8 Sender and new tank. I did it, so i know for sure.

Sold 2003: 12.00/112MPH/1.61 60'/26"x3.31:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Q-Jet-Torker/3650Lbs//18MPG 94oct
Sold 1994: 11.00/123MPH/1.50 60'/29.5"x4.10:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Dual600s-Wenzler/3250Lbs//94oct
The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2022, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Happiness happens with new 3/8 fuel line runs, with a 3/8 Sender and new tank. I did it, so i know for sure.
Thanks for the encouragement. I would like this outcome.

I don't see any reason to replace the line, nor do I want to replace the line, nor do I think I could replace the line... is it even possible to replace the hard line?

But I do have a new tank and sending unit sitting in the garage. I have to first clean up the trunk vent, replace its grommet, and replace the brown sending unit wire. I found the sending unit ground wire broken so I have to figure out where that was screwed to the body or frame.

I did use the borescope to look inside the tank. I did not see rust on the roof. I think the tank wasn't the source of rust, just the sender.

Happiness for me would be an engine that idled and I'm pretty sure there's more to it than rust in the fuel system. One step at a time...

Old 03-21-2023, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, it's been a learning experience to say the least.

Thanks to all who put up with my questions and came through with good answers on multiple threads. Every response was valued and why this forum is the best resource.

I finally started the engine yesterday and it idled with steady timing for the first time since about 2004?

With the exception of a new tick (concerning), I'm finally optimistic about getting my car driveable.

The path of new parts followed this round:

Gas tank, insulator, vents
Sending unit
Harmonic balancer
Fuel pump
Radiator
Distributor surgery (3rd time) with springs from Sun Tuned
Carburetor major surgery by shaker455 (3rd rebuild)
And finally, a new battery yesterday... arrrrrggghhh

Learning: Nothing is simple, details matter, information is scarce, parts are even more scarce, opinions are not facts, and there's more than one way to solve most problems.

Be ready for and tolerant of many more questions as I move forward. Next:

Fix fuel leak at the pump (hopefully just tighten the fitting)
Find the tick and hope it's easy to fix
Hook up vacuum for brakes and tranny, measure vacuum
Measure mechanical advance curve, hook up vac advance, measure vac advance curve, decide if they are OK or need to change
Install that distributor gasket I was reminded of yesterday...
Find the second throttle return spring that disappeared...

Onward and thank you all.

Mike

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post: