Old 04-22-2002, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would like to retain my console and factory shifter appearance. I have thought about a 68'His/Hers shifter. Will it install without many problems into a 72'?

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Right and wrong doesn't need facts all the time.
-Lighthouseman ("lawyer")

Starnes Performance Automatics
www.Starnesperformance.com
Old 04-22-2002, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would like to retain my console and factory shifter appearance. I have thought about a 68'His/Hers shifter. Will it install without many problems into a 72'?

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Right and wrong doesn't need facts all the time.
-Lighthouseman ("lawyer")

Starnes Performance Automatics
www.Starnesperformance.com
Old 04-23-2002, 12:06 AM
Senior Chief

I put one in my 70 GTO, I'm pretty sure 72 console will work also.

Check it out: http://community.webshots.com/album/36268723PMlriP

'06 GTO, '68 LeMans project, bikes, etc.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:29 AM
Senior Chief

I have a 72 with a console and A 68 dual gate shifter it bolts up fine ,But I haven't been able to get my car into low 1 or 2 I think. I can't remember which one is the last gear from drive. I haven't been able to work all the bugs out of my car yet. I heard that you can get the 68 GTO dualgate shifter cable from the Pontiac dealer. I went and got one but I think it's too short or something. I have yet to fix that! I looks great and everybody that sees it really likes it. They always say WOW!!! a Dualgate shifter cool! OH and ShiftWorks will have all the stuff you need also. Give them a call. I think they have a website also.

[ April 23, 2002, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: HANDSEL ]

Old 04-26-2002, 07:28 PM

The 68 his/hers shifter was used on the th400. If your 72 has the th350, the bracket will not bolt correctly to the transmission and will likely cause problems getting it to shift into the lower gears.

Old 04-29-2002, 12:13 PM
Senior Chief

I do have a th400 But I can't get the shifter into the lower gears. Do you think I have the wrong bracket that bolts to the trans? I think I am using the wrong one. It's the one that came with the trans (baught used). The trans is from a 73 Buick. I will have to check out the GTO assembly book and give Shiftworks a call.