Old 04-04-2002, 02:05 AM

I would like some outside opinions on what I should do for my summer project. I have the stock exhaust system on the car and want something in the 3'' range. I have a 2 barrel intake on my 400 and I would like to replace it with a 4. My ignition system could also use an upgrade considering that it is stock as well. I have the exhaust system set up, I just need to get the money to put it in, however I would like to put either a new intake or a new ignition system in it. Any good combos that could be recommended? At the moment the 400 is unmodified except for a high flow air filter. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-04-2002, 02:05 AM

I would like some outside opinions on what I should do for my summer project. I have the stock exhaust system on the car and want something in the 3'' range. I have a 2 barrel intake on my 400 and I would like to replace it with a 4. My ignition system could also use an upgrade considering that it is stock as well. I have the exhaust system set up, I just need to get the money to put it in, however I would like to put either a new intake or a new ignition system in it. Any good combos that could be recommended? At the moment the 400 is unmodified except for a high flow air filter. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-05-2002, 03:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not a "Guru" but here are my top choices:

1. Carefully evaluate how the car is to be used, and then develop a plan to put the best parts together to give you the desired results. EG. If you're a street kinda guy, stay away from Torker II's. Likewise, don't overdo one area and overlook another, otherwise known as "Fixate & Omit". Plan for realistic usage and you won't be disappointed at your component choices.

2. Stick with the factory distributor. Send it out for a professional curve and then tune it up with a quality kit. If you have an HEI expect to pay more for the curve job. If not, points will do just fine. Save the $$$ for something more useful.

3. Get a factory 4 BBL manifold, or an Edlebrock Performer if factory is unavailable or money isn't an issue.

4. Get a Q-jet and perform a meticulous rebuild. Assemble a Jet, Rod, Hangar assortment to assist in tuning.

5. Free up the exhaust some, as you apparently have 3" pipes already, you might have overdone that one area. I've only seen huge 3" pipes on just a few 455's. 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" seem quite common.

6. You might try a touch more camshaft to coordinate with the 4 BBL and enhance breathing. Replace the timing chain set and commonly eroded and damaged waterpump components while you're at it as a precaution.

*You might avoid having to change the cam by switching to higher ratio rocker arms to give it a "bigger cam" mathematically at the valves without actually changing the cam physically. I can't totally vouch for this as I've not done it yet, but many have.

7. Perform "Routine" maintenance on your car such as brakes, wheel bearings, suspension as these all help to put that newfound power to good use. Additionaly, you are eliminating common problem areas and reducing parasitic frictional losses by ensuring all components are in top notch shape.

8. Install slightly steeper gears, but don't go crazy.

9. Install a limited slip differential to maximize WOT traction.

10. Massage all pieces to fit together both in the planning stages and in the engine bay.

11. Ask a bunch of questions, disregard the chaff.

12. Have FUN!

-Matt

Old 04-07-2002, 09:47 PM

The 3" exhaust seems like over-kill for a 2-bbl 400 (even if you replace it with a 4-bbl). The heads probably don't even flow well enough to justify the added expense. If the exhasut system really needs replaced, save some money and get a 2.5" system with some flow masters (or whatever your preference is) and replace the heads.

Rob--

Old 04-12-2002, 07:28 PM

I don't have a 3'' on it yet. That is what I want to put on it. I have the stock 2'' on it right now. What I was going for in the exhaust was to use headers and larger pipe for what I want to do later. Such as a 4 bbl, cam and any other goodies. I was thinking about one of the Mighty Demon carbs somewhere in the neighborhood of 700cfm. This is my plan for the carb, 4 bbl intake then attach my buddies 750 Q-jet and see how the car performs and use that performance as the guide to what I should put onto the car. Ignition I was thinking about one of those distributorless systems, or possibly the magnetic distributor set-up. Is that a good plan of attack or should I revise? Thinking towards the future, with performance in mind (solid street/strip car - barely street legal) is having 3'' a good idea, considering that I will be adding parts in the near future? Instead of having 2.5'' and then having to replace it later? Thanks for the help.