Old 04-10-2002, 03:21 PM

How many quarts of oil does a 72 350 engine require, with a filter change?
Is it 5 or 6?

Thanks

Old 04-10-2002, 03:21 PM

How many quarts of oil does a 72 350 engine require, with a filter change?
Is it 5 or 6?

Thanks

Old 04-10-2002, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

5 without and 6 with unless it is not stock.

Make sure there are no big dents in the bottom of the pan as it will cause a problem with correct readings in the dipstick and will not hold the proper amount and it will look full when it is actually short or if full will look and be overfull.

Old 04-10-2002, 04:44 PM

Thanks
Gotta get a manual one of these days.

Old 04-10-2002, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try going to the library. In the Transportation section (I believe the 280 or 290 sections) you will find automotive. Within that will be some Motor or Chilton manuals. Copy needed pages. Another is to go to the parts store and buy one of the small manuals that covers several years by Chilton or others.

Have fun with the 72. One nice thing about 71 and later is hardened valve seats. No worry about unleaded gas. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 04-12-2002, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What does that mean for a 70 owner? "no unleaded gas worries?"

Old 04-13-2002, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welllll, I decided to take a break from my girlfriend "IRS" and check the board to see what was going on.

On the unleaded gas issue. In 1971, GM, in its infinite wisdumdum, decided that ALL ENGINGS must be able to run on low lead/unleaded gasoline. They knew the EPA was going to phase out lead in the gasoline so they 1) cut the compression ratios and 2)installed hardened seats for the valves. Cutting the compression ratio allowed for us to lose tremendous horsepower. The valve seat needed to be hardened as the lead in the gasoline provided a cusion for the valve to seat against and also provided lubrication to the valve on the seat. In the mid 70's when the lead went out and the "cat" came in we really had JUNK GAS.

So, unless you run some kind of lead substitute (not just a octane improver) over the long run it will cause the valve to be recessed into the seat. Some others need to comment who have run unleaded gas in their street (or strip) engine and share their stories. I understand that if you are constantly standing on it without the hardened seats it doesn't take long to do a number on the heads. If you are doing a valve job it might be a good time to invest in hardened seats.

So, for us 71 and later guys (or heads on an older engine) unleaded gas and standing on it is not a problem (as long as everything else is ok) Hope this helps

[ April 13, 2002: Message edited by: Jack Peters ]</p>

Old 04-14-2002, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lance, FWIW a lot of builders have stated here and on other BBS's that the hardened seats are nice to have but that they AREN'T seeing the kinds of damage envisioned when lead went away.

Don't worry so much about that, as ping-proofing your ride. If you can avoid the deadly D, you should have many moons in which to contemplate hardened seats.

Lance, I'm probably gonna be driving thru on Mon. Southbound, what's your schedule like from 12PM to say around 4 PM?

-Matt

Old 04-14-2002, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No can do, but thanks for the info!

Old 04-14-2002, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Next time, take care.