Old 04-07-2002, 11:49 AM
Senior Chief

No response when posted in The Body Shop forum, so I'll try it here: Here's what I could use help with - I have a 70 GTO with Sandlewood colored interior. The dash pad, front kick panels, steering column & metal panel between the dash pad and windshield are a different color (kind of tan), than the rest of the interior which is an off white. Im sure this off white is the Sandlewood color, as the vinyl top (sandlewood) was this color also. I believe that this is how it came from the factory (2 colors), as I have seen the same color configuration in several other GTOs of the same year. I am wondering what is the color (code or name) to repaint the metal dash panel & steering column. I have replaced the tilt column & the body was media blasted, so they will both need to be painted the correct color (tan?). When I had the dash recovered, they color-matched it from a unexposed piece of the original vinyl off of it, so I have no color code. I also need to redye/repaint the kick panels this same tan color. Anybody know what it is (color name/color code)? I know somebody has faced this problem during their restoration - how about a little help guys [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ April 07, 2002: Message edited by: a462goat ]</p>

'06 GTO, '68 LeMans project, bikes, etc.
Old 04-07-2002, 11:49 AM
Senior Chief

No response when posted in The Body Shop forum, so I'll try it here: Here's what I could use help with - I have a 70 GTO with Sandlewood colored interior. The dash pad, front kick panels, steering column & metal panel between the dash pad and windshield are a different color (kind of tan), than the rest of the interior which is an off white. Im sure this off white is the Sandlewood color, as the vinyl top (sandlewood) was this color also. I believe that this is how it came from the factory (2 colors), as I have seen the same color configuration in several other GTOs of the same year. I am wondering what is the color (code or name) to repaint the metal dash panel & steering column. I have replaced the tilt column & the body was media blasted, so they will both need to be painted the correct color (tan?). When I had the dash recovered, they color-matched it from a unexposed piece of the original vinyl off of it, so I have no color code. I also need to redye/repaint the kick panels this same tan color. Anybody know what it is (color name/color code)? I know somebody has faced this problem during their restoration - how about a little help guys [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ April 07, 2002: Message edited by: a462goat ]</p>

Old 04-07-2002, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Every lower textured panel I've ever pulled out of a '70-72 A-body parts car or keeper was black, around 20-30% gloss black. Can't remember seeing a beige one or green one (for example), will ck some old pic's of departed parts & project cars.

If said '70 GTO was equipped with a Formula wheel, it came with a black steering column & black hub. Black on column in more like 70-80% gloss than it is 100% gloss. Cars without Formula wheel option had column & steering wheel (or wood wheel horn cap rubber) color keyed to interior color.

The steel dash area in front of the dashpad should be a flat hue similiar color to the dash pad. Kickpanels & dash pad should be the same color with slightly more gloss on the kickpanels.

[ April 07, 2002: Message edited by: ol' Pinion head ]</p>

Old 04-07-2002, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"I know somebody has come faced this problem during their restoration"

I know exactly what you are talking about. Why Pontiac did this with a Sandalwood interior is anyones guess. Unfortunately I have never been able to find any type of color code for this different color. The only way I have gotten this color is by having it color matched.

Old 04-07-2002, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What about the interior colors listed in the front of the Pontiac parts catalog. It lists a Medium Sandalwood and a Dark Sandalwood in semi gloss and "0" gloss. With paint codes.

[ April 07, 2002: Message edited by: Held for Ransom ]</p>

Old 04-07-2002, 11:02 PM
Senior Chief

Here is a direct quote out of the GTO restoration manual (wrong) - "Interior trim combinations were relatively uniform in the sense that, with the exception of parchment, all interior combinations were one color. Dash pads, instrument panels, seats, door panels, kick panels, package shelves and carpets were all color keyed.
With parchment (white) interiors, this color-key rule changed. When the parchment interior was ordered, the following components were black: carpets, console base, instrument panel, steering column, and Deluxe steering wheel. Windlace, headliner and finishing moldings were white."

This came out of the first edition of the GTO restoration manual, don't know if the 2nd edition says any different

Old 04-08-2002, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i have a 70 sandlewood interior also, convertible if that makes a difference...most of my interior panels were repainted by previous owner, but he told me he tried to match up as best as possible, i will check and take pictures for u if that would help...

Old 04-08-2002, 01:39 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the input guys, anyone else have anything to add?

[ May 17, 2002, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: a462goat ]

Old 04-08-2002, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

462Goat,
Agree with you on the "resto manual". Early owners (64-67) may find it of great help doing decent resto's on their cars, but after '69, might as well leave it on the shelf. I bought the expanded 2nd edition, & it is great in listing colors available, trim tag codes, & an overview of geegaw options, but was of little help otherwise.

Old 04-09-2002, 04:27 PM
Senior Chief

My 70 GTO interior is saddle with dark saddle on the kick panels, carpet,dash,steering colume,pillar post, cover for mirror. Your GTO combo will be sandlewood with saddle. I have all the codes at home Iam at work now so email me at home.memorymill@erols.com This two combo colors with the tan and brown colors was very common with the 69-72 pontiac's. Hope this helps out.

1967 Firebird 400 convertible 4 speed #'s matching
2002 SOM Trans Am WS6 Convertible 6 speed bone stock
1970 GTO convertible auto #'s matching