Old 01-20-2000, 11:06 AM

Does anyone have any advice for me pertaining to dash removal? I have a '70 GTO. I have gotten all of the bolts out except for one that appears to be holding it just above the steering column. How do I get to that one? Also please add any advice you may have that could help me avoid any other pitfalls. Thankyou!

Old 01-20-2000, 11:06 AM

Does anyone have any advice for me pertaining to dash removal? I have a '70 GTO. I have gotten all of the bolts out except for one that appears to be holding it just above the steering column. How do I get to that one? Also please add any advice you may have that could help me avoid any other pitfalls. Thankyou!

Old 01-20-2000, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Good Question.
Besides the obvious, drop the column, remove radio, glove box, lower dash large bolts.... here are fasteners that many miss.

1. small black screws that go up into the dash plastic bezel and pad from directly in front of the gauges.

2. Sheet metal nuts that attach to the dash pad studs at the metal dash board. These can be seen facing straight down and gotten to after removing the glove box and the radio.

3. The Speedometer cable!!!! You have to just feel your way back there and press in on the sides while pulling back on the cable.

4. Heater contol cables above the radio. Easier to disconnect from the car than the heater control unit.

At this point the dash will pull forward with a good tug and give you room to start disconnecting all the rest of the wiring.

Old 01-20-2000, 10:57 PM

In addition to the above:

It is MUCH easier to unplug the engine and headlight harness from the firewall (under the hood) and then unbolt the fuse block from the floor and pull the WHOLE dash, wiring, heater controls and all as a unit rather than trying to unhook and hook the wiring back up with the dash in the car (even if loose).

Old 01-21-2000, 06:34 PM

Ccass, thankyou for your advice. I have done all of that except that I haven't been able to get the nut that is above the gauges. Do I have to remove the gauges from the underside before I can get to this or is there a trick that would allow me to reach it?

Thanks.

Old 01-22-2000, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Hmmm... I don't recall there being a nut above the gauges. At the back of the dash pad behind the gauges there is one you can reach from the glove box. It's a stretch, but you can reach. If you got that one, double check that you got all three screws from the front of the dash inside the pods going straight up into the top. If that's not it.... you got me.

Old 04-07-2002, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always remove the glove box and also remove the temperature cable from the heater box, this will give you enought room to get a flashlight up in and behine to the heater panel and ash tray area to see some of what else there is you need to undo, basically there is a lot of small screws and some studs in the pad pointing down that you need to take the speednut off of in order to separate the actual soft pad from the metal deforster slot panel, taking out the glove box is the only way I know of to get to those studs.
Hope this helps some,..........