Old 04-01-2002, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just purchased a 70 Hardtop. Key is stuck in the ignition. Tried graphite, no luck. Do I have any other options before replacing?

Also, Door locks do not work. Where do I look first? Cannot lock from the inside or with the key.

Finally, Has anyone used YearOne's lock replacement kit? Any issues?

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2002, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just purchased a 70 Hardtop. Key is stuck in the ignition. Tried graphite, no luck. Do I have any other options before replacing?

Also, Door locks do not work. Where do I look first? Cannot lock from the inside or with the key.

Finally, Has anyone used YearOne's lock replacement kit? Any issues?

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2002, 09:52 PM
Senior Chief

Have you tried taking the door panels off to see what is happening in there yet? I would take the locks out not that hard and put them in some kind of oil solution and WD-40 all the moving parts in the inside of the door. where is westerville oh?
Don

Old 04-02-2002, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Westerville is about 17 miles North of downtown Columbus. Don, your advice is right about the door locks.

Obviously, you know that the ignition key is the same key for the doors on the 1970 model. Therefore, unless you have a duplicate ignition key, it'll be kinda hard to use the door locks.

I would add that the locks are very simple and shouldn't require replacement unless you need to re-key the car in order to get matching keys.

The ignition column tumbler is a very robust and durable component, I'm concerned that you can't get this key out. Perhaps someone put the key in upside down or used the wrong key.

I'm driving through Columbus tomorrow morning (early) if you'd like, I can swing by and take a look. Drop me an E-mail at: airdoc68@aol.com

-Matt

Old 04-02-2002, 01:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Have you tried jiggling the ignition lock while trying to extract the key? Sometimes the key will bind just enough in the lock to prevent it's removal. Just a thought.

Old 04-02-2002, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry I haven't gotten back. I usually get an email when I've gotten a response but not this time. What appears to be happening is that the iginition is not even turning back to the lock position?? Maybe that is why it is not coming out. I've tried pushing in and pulling, jiggling, you name it. I'm afraid I might break the key off. Will pop the door panels and take a look. I guess I hadn't tried the key in the door, I just know it doesn't lock from the inside.

Thanks, Lance

Old 04-02-2002, 01:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Have you tried rocking the steering wheel from side to side? Try this while turning the ignition lock. Can you see the key, and if so, is the flat side up?

Old 04-02-2002, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It sounds to me that the wrong key is jammed into the ignition. Changing that lock cylinder is cheap and easy. But I believe you have to have the ignition set to Acc to get that old lock out. Locksmiths arent too much money. If necessary they can come to you and make a key. Unless of course you can drive it to them for a lot less money.

Old 04-02-2002, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The damn key was put in upside down, sure enough the flat side is down! I actually have a lock smith at work who just happens to be on vacation, hopefully he can get it out for me. On the door issue, if I unscrew the knob a bit the lock works. Is there a way to adjust this once the door panel is removed?

Thank you, thank you for the help!

Old 04-03-2002, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

test

Old 04-03-2002, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't recall there being any adjustment on this linkage, probably an incorrect part. Sounds like someone used short knobs instead of the proper length items. Order up a new set from PY (support our host) they're really cheap.

Sounds like you're dealing with 32 years of half-a%&ed fixes. Mine was in the same kind of shape, superficial stuff incorrect. Someone probably put some Chebby junk on your car.

-Matt

P.S. Tell us more about your car [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2002, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Red in and out, air, auto, 400, 90K miles. California built, been in Ohio since at least '89. 3rd owner in Ohio. Bought off a friend of mine's Dad in Delaware, Ohio that has 1 of every year Goat thru 69 now (did have a 70 but we know where that one went) not to mention a Tempest, DeLorean and about 15 other cars at any one time. All sitting in a barn with tons of dust but all in original running condition. I **** myself when I walked in this barn for the first time! I call it excellent condition for what I paid for it, body straight just minor chips. Interior good aside from some fading. Issues: Radio no work, air haven't checked yet, tires bad, exhaust bad, hood to be adjusted, i'm sure i'll find more as I go. Replaced plugs, plug wires, coil and air filter so far, headers, wheels (17" Cragars), BFG's (Scorcher T/A), exhaust and some interior pieces to follow shortly. Take a look at pics from the night I brought her home:

http://hudnell.150m.com/gto.html

How's that??

Old 04-03-2002, 10:19 PM
Senior Chief

humbler were you aware of the gto club in columbus?
www.gtoaco.org let me know if you are interested!
Don

Old 04-03-2002, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great pictures and a nice car! I like your handle as well..I personalized my GTO plates.."HUMBLER". My car is the second GTO I've owned (the first was a great convertible) my current ride is an original 455 car with only a few problems. It's much more presentable than my convertible was when I first got it.

-Matt

Old 04-03-2002, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Belong to gtoaa, and knew about gtoaco but haven't taken the time to check it out. Will check out your site tomorrow.

So you took the HUMBLER plates! I went with Historical plates, but hope to find a "cool" set of original Ohio 70 plates to put on it. I didn't find out you could even do that until after I bought the Historical plates.

Matt, sent you an email about you possibly stopping by this morning? Did you get it?

I'm not getting notices that posts have been made, any thoughts? I have it checked in my profile???

I gotta get up in the morning, later!

Old 04-04-2002, 01:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No, I didn't get your E-mail. I will be passing through CMH roughly once a week for the forseeable future so we should get together sometime.

-Matt

Old 04-04-2002, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Let me know a couple days before you're coming through.

Thanks again.

Old 04-04-2002, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Humbler, have you tried to rotate the base of the steering column( right behind the steeringwheel just at the dash) counterclockwise ( this allows the key to go to the locked steeringwheel position) sometimes the linkage that rotates the column when it is in park (for auto or reverse for manual) is out of adjustment, you cannot remove key if the column is not rotated completly counterclockwise, Forrest

Old 04-04-2002, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No, I haven't. Thanks will try this evening.

Old 04-04-2002, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank You Forrest! That was it, turned the column the key came right back to lock and out came the key! Man, what a relief, I really had no desire to yank that all a part.

Thanks!