THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Bone yard prices

So I was a little bored yesterday and the weather had finally warmed up have been wanting to go to the bone yard to measure some fans for a project I'm doing after spending about an hr found one that would potentially work I decided to go get my tools and on the way out stopped and asked how much it would be guy tells me 65.00 plus a core I almost dropped to the floor say what .I quickly goggled said fan and brand new it was 80.00 with a 1 year warranty showed it to the guy and he says yeah probably cheaper you want it or not I did not say another word just walked out dumbfounded what if I had made the mistake of pulling it guess they would have added it to the pile of unsold parts sitting there .
My rant is that I thought the u pull were supposed to save you money they used to.
Rant over..

Old 01-26-2014, 01:17 PM
Senior Chief

Here in California they've been doing that for a while especially when scrap metal prices were through the roof you have to really watch it on some stuff we shop before we go so to speak plus we try to only buy stuff on half of weekends

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Same here me an my bro in law went to pic & ripoff he needed some stuff pulled a couple of parts like reverse light and they wanted 12.50 each and one was broke bracket they kept it. I think i will check prices online so as not to shocked also 2 bucks to get in.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:34 PM

I am lucky I found a good j-yard with decent prices here in CO. I bought camaro bucket seats for 40.00, seat belts for 25.00 and small stuff like dome lights they don't even charge for. Just the other day I needed a mass air flow sensor and parts store wanted 120.00, j-yard wanted 32.00 and it even had a 2 week return policy if it didn't work. They even provide wagons to haul your treasures through the yard. My only problem is they only keep vehicles for about 2 weeks and wife gets mad I go almost every weekend. I tell her if you saw 100.00 sitting in the dirt you wouldn't pick it up. I still shake my head when I see guys walking around with vise grips and a screwdriver, I guess they are just more skilled than I am.
I will say a lot of j-yards have been closing around here and high prices were there down fall.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:49 PM
Senior Chief

eBay makes a great junkyard, parts pulled and shipped to your door.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SAME HERE!!!
I fished a fan out from a mudpuddle right in front of the guy..."how much?" I asked.
"40 bucks" he replied.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Middle of last week was on the road & in 5 different yards. Only one was a sign in/pay a buck to walk the yard. Was treated very fair in all on prices. If nasty weather hadn't have come in, I'd would have stayed out another day.

Back home, a few weekends ago, I was in local Pick-N-Pull looking for a few specialty core parts & it was $10 a seat weekend. I pulled two buckets & a 5 gallon bucket full of misc. Was out the door for $48. On other side of metro is an LKQ Pick-Your-Part, I started hitting them last summer, & they are definitely more expensive.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

LKQ bought out our nearest Pick-A-Part
Things will never be the same again.

No more all you can carry days, no more all you can wheelbarrow days, no more half price days , no more anything days at all .

Prices instantly almost doubled
Core charges on EVERYTHING except glass
i do mean EVERYTHING - except glass

Guys at the counter or checkout dont care whether you buy or not.
No haggling or bargaining.
They get paid on the clock

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2014, 12:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The thing I noticed about local LKQ is many of the cars, trucks, Tahoes & Subs weren't tore up as bad by the customers. I put that to LKQ's high prices & local buyers, mostly Hispanic, weren't buying. Haven't done an All-U-Can-Carry in 12 years. Pre-pulled & cleaned house in many such deals through the 90's, then many Pick-N-Pulls quit doing them

Examples of local LKQ pricing... At our locally owned local Pick-N-Pull, a fullsize pickup bed is $100 + tax (most get crushed). Across town, LKQ is $250 + tax + core + enviro fee. I first hit LKQ last summer, as was on that side of metro & my son's teammate got a hold of me & needed a radiator overflow jug for his '04 Isuzu SUV. The ripoff eBay store/salvage yard lister's on eBay wanted $79.99 for a filthy yellowed out used jug. I gave $9 + tax + enviro BS @ LKQ. Since then have bought several more at local Pick-N-Pull for $3 each. Have a bunch of homerun Pontiac pieces that are going on eBay, the radiator overflow jugs along with some other late model sale stuff are going on too.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's what happened here I remember the rainy day specials the 100$ all you can carry but that was a few years back they sold out to LQK and now they just don't care like I said there was a pile of parts outside the back door where they were pulled and not purchased what's with the core charge so in my case the part would have been 15.00 more because I did not have a core 90.00 for a used fan 80.00 new with free shipping on Amazon well they got my 2.00 entry fee for the last time we have one independent left will try them next week.To bad young guys won't get to have the fun of picking.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have found it to be luck of the draw of checkout personel in my area. I was purchaseing a Pontiac 455 short block that the yard had the posted price of $250 the person checking me out wanted to charge me for each connecting rod, piston, the crank shaft, timing cover ect.... and the price was going to be over $800. I had just spent an hour removing the useless to me 6H heads and the intake, I offered to go get them so I could be charged the complete engine price of $450, they finally let me have them for $300.
At the next teller, my buddy was paying just $40.00 for a complete 350 SBC TPI system, and there pricing chart clearly states that all the injectors and the throttle body are separate, he was expecting to pay about $150 for the complete system.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 01-27-2014, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Went to a yard a couple months ago. Bring the parts up to the counter. The old man says, "what's it worth to ya?". I say, "I don't know, how about 10 bucks?". He says, "sure, with tax that'll be $10.55."
Ok, deal

I think the deals are still out there, but you have to know where to look. Don't think many people are willing to pull the parts themselves anymore and would rather shop from home on eBay. I still buy off eBay for the convenience of it, but the thrill of the hunt at the yards is fun too. A lot of yards around here have crushed all the old stuff, are completely picked over or have gone out of business...You can still find some of the small, knick-knack type parts though.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerjeff View Post
I have found it to be luck of the draw of checkout personel in my area. I was purchaseing a Pontiac 455 short block that the yard had the posted price of $250 the person checking me out wanted to charge me for each connecting rod, piston, the crank shaft, timing cover ect.... and the price was going to be over $800. I had just spent an hour removing the useless to me 6H heads and the intake, I offered to go get them so I could be charged the complete engine price of $450, they finally let me have them for $300.
At the next teller, my buddy was paying just $40.00 for a complete 350 SBC TPI system, and there pricing chart clearly states that all the injectors and the throttle body are separate, he was expecting to pay about $150 for the complete system.
Mood pricing !

Old 01-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's why you stuff smaller things like injectors, cables, wires, sockets, bolts, knobs, rear view mirrors, sensors, etc. in your pockets.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1966geeto....where in FL are you?

I go to LKQ all the time here in the Tampa Bay area....some prices are unreal and told the district manager they need to change prices.

I checked here

http://lkq190.com/pricesheet.php

fan is $6 and clutch is 10.....don't see how you got to $65

Old 01-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok guys, I live in a rural area and it's been a while since I've been junkyarding. School me--what is LKQ??

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 01-27-2014, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LKQ is a publicly traded auto parts company that is based in Chicago.

They bought out Keystone aftermarket parts....they supply new and used parts as well as run many LKQ u-pull-it salvage yards nationwide...the letters stand for Like Kind and Quality

Old 01-28-2014, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

an old insurance adjuster acronym

Likeness

Kindness

Quality'ness

aka similar suitable condition replacement to damaged part - before damage
aka used parts

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStage1 View Post
1966geeto....where in FL are you?

I go to LKQ all the time here in the Tampa Bay area....some prices are unreal and told the district manager they need to change prices.

I checked here

http://lkq190.com/pricesheet.php

fan is $6 and clutch is 10.....don't see how you got to $65
Was a dual electric fan guy gave me the price off top of his head there was no listing ck online 92 ford windstar or Dorman 620131 Amazon 81.00

Old 01-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We've had the LKQ buyouts of yards around here but within the last 6 months we had the opposite happen also. The last good pick and pull, owed by a guy I have known for years, was sold to a NW group that has several yards and is buying up more.

The 1st day of new ownership they went into the office/lobby area and tossed everything in a dumpster. The ceiling was full of hanging, older, 60's/70's steering wheels, there were 3 long display cases of horn caps and rings, rally wheel centers, small moldings, gas caps, etc all tossed.

I got out there the 3rd day and saved a bunch of 67 - 69 FB tail lights, 69 -72 GTO/Lemans auto consoles, 2nd gen FB tach/gauge clusters, older timing covers, early 70's Lemans grilles, nice and dry 65 LH fender and a pair of nice 63/4 GP buckets, all for around $350.00 bucks. Pulled several working early GM radios from the dump boxes for free.

I asked the guy running the show, why not have an all you can carry for $25 bucks or so day, he said it was too much trouble. I told him I'd run it for a week if I could pick the people to run it and we agree on a split. Never heard back and now most of the older, already pulled parts are history and all the older cars crushed.

I don't understand the thinking and leaving so much money on the table. It wasn't a time problem, they're still gumming through the cleanout.