The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-27-2004, 07:23 PM

I am getting close to starting to paint my convertible top frame and looking for advice.
The frame is still on the car.

What is the best way to prep? Elbow grease and wire brush/sanding? Or sandblasting?

What color black looks/holds up best? Gloss or semi gloss?

Mainly, what worked for you guys?

Thanks
Randy

Old 07-27-2004, 07:23 PM

I am getting close to starting to paint my convertible top frame and looking for advice.
The frame is still on the car.

What is the best way to prep? Elbow grease and wire brush/sanding? Or sandblasting?

What color black looks/holds up best? Gloss or semi gloss?

Mainly, what worked for you guys?

Thanks
Randy

Old 07-27-2004, 08:07 PM
Senior Chief

I did mine while it was on the car. I didn't have abunch of rust but I masked everything and just used a wire brush. I found that semigloss looked the best but I never checked to see if it was correct. It's been ten years and it still looks good. it is better if you take your time and go with several LIGHT coats.

Mase

Old 07-29-2004, 03:12 PM

Mase,
That's where I was headed I guess. With all of the joints and hinge points it will be a job. Mine was spray bombed almost 20 years ago and held up pretty good. I just want this to be the last time I do this.

Thanks

Randy

Old 07-29-2004, 10:14 PM
Senior Chief

I should've explained a little further. I had already gutted the interior of the car and then I just masked off the rest of the rear so the overspray wouldn't hit it. I then moved the frame open and closed to get too all of the nooks and crannies. I did it after the summer season was over and all of the parts were on order so I could take my time. Also, I did some light sanding with fine paper to "scuff" the paint so the new paint would bite better. The bomb cans will work if you take your time.

Mase