Old 12-10-2004, 08:44 AM
Senior Chief

Does anyone know if you can determine from the VIN# or cowl tag or stampings on the car whether a '69 Grand Prix originally came with a 4-speed. Only other way I know is to send off to PHS for the window sticker based off the VIN.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks, Don

Old 12-10-2004, 08:44 AM
Senior Chief

Does anyone know if you can determine from the VIN# or cowl tag or stampings on the car whether a '69 Grand Prix originally came with a 4-speed. Only other way I know is to send off to PHS for the window sticker based off the VIN.
Thanks, Don

Old 12-10-2004, 08:54 AM

No you can not tell by the vin#s or the cowl tag, the only way is PHS to be positive. RD

PS there is one other to be for sure, find the build sheet somewhere in the car or on top of the gas tank between the tank and the sound deadning mat,but be VERY carefull as not to distroy it if it isn't already.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blue'69:
Thanks, Don <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 12-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Senior Chief

Well I have a friend of my brother who is selling his '69 and I know the engine isn't original but it would be nice if the 4-speed was the original one from the factory. Automatics always have some sort of letter codes on them to tell you if it could belong in that car or not.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:59 PM

You are right, the vin# will be stamped on the passenger side of the trans case where the tail shaft and main case come together,and also (I think on top of the case toward the front) sorry about that. RD

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blue'69:
Well I have a friend of my brother who is selling his '69 and I know the engine isn't original but it would be nice if the 4-speed was the original one from the factory. Automatics always have some sort of letter codes on them to tell you if it could belong in that car or not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 12-14-2004, 07:28 PM

How did it turn out?? Did you buy the car?? RD

Well I have a friend of my brother who is selling his '69 and I know the engine isn't original but it would be nice if the 4-speed was the original one from the factory. Automatics always have some sort of letter codes on them to tell you if it could belong in that car or not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 12-15-2004, 08:24 AM
Senior Chief

Does the car have a manual center console? For '69 + '70 only 1343 manual trans GP's were built(Source: ClassicalPontiac) making the manual trans console pretty rare. Also if the floor has the proper conture for a manual trans and does not look like it was cut out and a replacement trans hump welding in I would be fairly confident that the car is an orignal manual trans car.

Old 12-17-2004, 06:34 AM

Blue '69 didn't get the car, the guy sold it before he could make the trip. Maybe he'll find another one somewhere. Anybody know anyone selling a '69 or '70 that's not a basket case?

Old 12-17-2004, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can anyone share a digital pic of a '69-70 GrandPrix 4spd Hurst shifter lever? A side view of the chrome lever that says Hurst.

Have what I believe is an original Hurst shifter for such a car, & the lower portion of the chrome lever, up before the main bend, has a "squiggle" in it, & lever has never been heated & rebent.

Old 12-17-2004, 12:05 PM
Senior Chief

Muscle car man is right I didn't get the car. Did get to see it on a trailer though and I'm not sure I would have wanted it, looked like a lot of work. Why are all the Grand Prix's of that period in such bad shape generally speaking of course. Well I guess I'm still searching for a '69-'70 4-speed.

Old 12-17-2004, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why are all the Grand Prix's of that period in such bad shape generally speaking of course. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They drove 'em till the wheels fell off!

greg

Old 12-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is the original factory stick for a 69-70 GP with a 4 speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1970Hurst4555.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	22814  

Old 12-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 70 factory stick car that is a basket case for sale. It'a pretty high optioned car but requires total redo. TO find a nice one is very difficult. Many gave up their drivetrains years ago and continue to do so. Just last fall antoher 70 GP with factory 4 speed donated to a 64 GTO. Frustration. The car I have was on the way to the parts pile, but I couldn't see it being cut apart.

BTW, the trans tunnel is just a hole in the floor! There is a bolt on piece put in from the factory for the shift porch. So it looks like a cobble job, but is factory. the only real way to tell is to PHS the car. I"ve seen many conversions, which is pretty easy to do, being that most of the stuff is GTO. Console pieces and frame brackets for the Z Bar are hard to find, but you can work around it.

Seems like the blue car was a conversion? ANyone find out for sure?

KV