Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 10-15-2004, 10:04 PM

my local pick-n-pull is having a sale this weekend and i was thinking i might go pick up a temporary engine for cheap. that way i would be able to at least drive my gto while i save for a good engine. what cars have engines and trannys that would fit? also what might i be able to find a muncie 4 speed in? anything? i was figuring most GM cars up until the mid to late 70's would have something that would fit in without a problem, is that right?

Old 10-15-2004, 10:04 PM

my local pick-n-pull is having a sale this weekend and i was thinking i might go pick up a temporary engine for cheap. that way i would be able to at least drive my gto while i save for a good engine. what cars have engines and trannys that would fit? also what might i be able to find a muncie 4 speed in? anything? i was figuring most GM cars up until the mid to late 70's would have something that would fit in without a problem, is that right?

Old 10-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Senior Chief

Depends on what your definition of "without a problem" is. A Pontiac mill would be the best for numerous reasons, not the least of which is ease of install. Any other brand will likely require some amount of modification to make fit, whether it be motor mounts, throttle linkage, fuel line routing, battery cable routing, radiator hoses, or others that I cant think of right now. You'd also have another engine to kill for small parts when you build your "good" one, and if you happen to find a mid 70s engine, chances are it'll have the 6X heads on it, which are about the only post 1972 head (SD excepted, of course)that anybody else would want. Start by looking under the hoods of all the 2nd gen Firebirds, then in any Poncho made before 1980.

If you find a Muncie 4speed in a pick-n-pull, immediately go out and buy yourself some lottery tickets, cause you just got lucky! I'm not sure when they quit using Muncies, but I know it was prior to 1976.

Old 10-16-2004, 02:59 PM

haha ya i figured the muncie was a long shot but its worth looking. are all the engine to tranny patterns the same? meaning if i get an engine with an auto tranny will i be able to mate a manual with it later?

Old 10-17-2004, 05:35 AM
Senior Chief

Maybe. Sorry, I'm not real clear on why, but I know it has something to do with the crank might not being drilled and tapped for the pilot bushing?? Hopefully someone with some real knowledge will come along and answer this...

All the blocks are patterned the same, within the same engine family anyway. Buick, Olds, and Pontiac (BOP) have a different tranny pattern than Chevy. But all the blocks will take either a/t or manual.

Old 10-22-2004, 06:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would just keep your eyes open. I see alot of mid to late 70s GPs and Firebirds in the yards all the time. You could at least grab a 350 or 400 Pontiac with a tranny out of one of those and just drop it right in. If you get a 400 you could always just pull it out later and rebuild it and have a decent stout motor on your hands.