Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-27-2004, 11:42 PM
Senior Chief

I got a new drag car that has had a lot of problem to iron out. I got all of them but the trans. I got the car running and ready to go (I thought) Then one day I had no forward or reverse. I disconected the trans cooler lines and had almost no pressure. I could plug the lines with my thumbs and no effort. I had a little fluid coming out of both lines. I pulled the pump and put in one I had in another trans that I knew worked. I got the car together and it worked normally. I waited about an hour, then went to put the car in the trailer and had no forward or reverse again. So I ordered new frictions steals and seals and got a Hipster trans brake while I was at it. I got the car all together and now I still don't have any forward or reverse movement. This is the second trans I've rebuilt with a Hipster trans brake so I'm still learning but the first trans was a breeze and works perfect. Where should I start my diognostic, what should I do? Could the convertor be suspect? Thank you.

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
>> |...BEER TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
>> |_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -
>> "(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 01-27-2004, 11:42 PM
Senior Chief

I got a new drag car that has had a lot of problem to iron out. I got all of them but the trans. I got the car running and ready to go (I thought) Then one day I had no forward or reverse. I disconected the trans cooler lines and had almost no pressure. I could plug the lines with my thumbs and no effort. I had a little fluid coming out of both lines. I pulled the pump and put in one I had in another trans that I knew worked. I got the car together and it worked normally. I waited about an hour, then went to put the car in the trailer and had no forward or reverse again. So I ordered new frictions steals and seals and got a Hipster trans brake while I was at it. I got the car all together and now I still don't have any forward or reverse movement. This is the second trans I've rebuilt with a Hipster trans brake so I'm still learning but the first trans was a breeze and works perfect. Where should I start my diognostic, what should I do? Could the convertor be suspect? Thank you.

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 01-28-2004, 05:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Assuming all internals were air pressure checked during rebuilding, no movement forward or reverse indicates converter failure....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 01-28-2004, 09:44 AM

Ditto Cliff....bad converter would also explain the low pump pressure, since that's what drives it.

Old 01-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Senior Chief

I have another converter I will try this weekend. This one is a Fairbanks converter. Will they rebuild it? Does anyone have an idea what it would cost, should I just order a new one?

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 01-29-2004, 05:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep in mind that a hosed converter may be pumping a LOT of ground up torrington bearing material into the trans. Check the filter/fluid and visually inspect the front bushing while the converter is out.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 01-29-2004, 06:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cliff,
Your correct you need to see if any metal is in the pan if so, rebuild it. If any of the metal finds it's way back to the converter you will trash it...
Not to mention the pump.....
Side note: Not a big fan of Fairbanks seen a a few go south with lots a Torque applied to them...

Rodney

Outlaw Pontiac Racers Association
"For Those Who Live the Legend"

"WELCOME TO THE NO SPIN ZONE!"