Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 08-25-2004, 07:27 PM
Senior Chief

Had a friend install headers on my 77 400. I chickened-out. Now I have a large header leak. Apparently, my friend did not intall the number 4 bolt(1 being closest to the front) on either side. He said he could not get his fingers between the flange and tube. My headers are four tube. My question is should he not have started with that bolt? The number 4 bolt has the extra cutout in the flange. Don't you install the bolt first and then slide the header over the bolt? And then install the otherfive. And what now. Do I remove the headers and start over? Thanks.

Phil

Old 08-25-2004, 07:27 PM
Senior Chief

Had a friend install headers on my 77 400. I chickened-out. Now I have a large header leak. Apparently, my friend did not intall the number 4 bolt(1 being closest to the front) on either side. He said he could not get his fingers between the flange and tube. My headers are four tube. My question is should he not have started with that bolt? The number 4 bolt has the extra cutout in the flange. Don't you install the bolt first and then slide the header over the bolt? And then install the otherfive. And what now. Do I remove the headers and start over? Thanks.

Phil

Old 08-27-2004, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The number 4 bolt has the extra cutout in the flange. Don't you install the bolt first and then slide the header over the bolt? And then install the otherfive. And what now. Do I remove the headers and start over? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate to say it, but you are correct. Maybe if you loosen all the other bolts you can squeeze the last bolt in, but that's assuming the gasket isn't messed up.

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 08-27-2004, 08:03 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the advice. I never thought about loosening the other bolts first. I will give it a try.

Phil

Old 08-27-2004, 11:02 AM

my method has always been to install the headers with any "tricky" fasteners taped onto the flange. Start a few threads of each bolt, then tighten the center ports first to prevent leaks. If the gasket hasn't been heat-cycled too many times, you should be able to loosen the bolts enough to gain access to the #4 bolt.