The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 10-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Senior Chief

I'm rebuilding my TA's front end and want to make it nice and durable. There's not a huge selection of shops in my area and the best quote I've found is $170. Is this a reasonable price for blasting and powder coating upper & lower control arms and coil springs?

Old 10-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Senior Chief

I'm rebuilding my TA's front end and want to make it nice and durable. There's not a huge selection of shops in my area and the best quote I've found is $170. Is this a reasonable price for blasting and powder coating upper & lower control arms and coil springs?

Old 10-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think that's outta line.

Just one question though.. how are you going to get the new bushings in without damaging the powdercoat?

Old 10-05-2004, 02:54 PM
Senior Chief

One more caveat - double check the flexibility of the powder coating - I think a hard bounce might crack any powder coating on the coil springs...

78 White T/A, Carmine interior, Fisher T-tops, WS-6 package, 3.08 gears, a/c, rear discs. Original 403 with 300,000 miles replaced by new Pontiac 455 (roller everything, 6x-4 heads, Performer manifold, Hooker Headers, Hughes converter, Cliff's Q-jet) - I only get 12 mpg!
Old 10-05-2004, 03:26 PM
Senior Chief

I've read several posts in the archives here regarding powder coating control arms and coil springs. Since I'm replacing my bushings with stock rubber the powder coating needs to be done first, otherwise the new rubber will be melted in the oven. I may have to sand the inside of the bushing holes and I'll just have to be very careful when pressing the new bushings in. As far as the springs go, several posters here have said powder coating is the way to go. All the shops I've called say they do coil springs all the time and that the powder coating holds up very well and they never have any complaints. It's fairly flexible and the springs really don't compress/decompress that much during regular driving. I rarely drive the car and even then it's just a weekend cruise...can't afford driving it too much with today's gas prices.

Old 10-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Matt,

I got my rear control arms back and I was sure to tell the guy (Vinny) doing the powder coating not to get any where the bushings go. I guess they taped them off or something. Because they were clean in that area. I froze the poly bushings and used a rubber mallet to bang them in. I got them 95% of the way in with that method. I will try a dead blow hammer this weekend. It should not damage the powder coating but the coating is VERY durable.

Unfortunally, Vinny did not do the rearend housing and they powder coated where the bushings go. I will have to do alittle sanding in that area to get the bushings in.

Anthony

Old 10-06-2004, 05:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff, that sounds like a good plan to me. It sounds like you're taking the right precautions against damaging the powder.

Anthony, Good to hear from you again. You'll get it, and when you do you will be proud of your work. Bushings are one of the harder jobs.