Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-11-2004, 08:36 PM

I am having a heck of a time getting a new seal in the housing. It doesn't seem to want to go all the way to the back on the lower part of it and starts to crooked. When I look in the tube it looks as if the axle tube and flange were welded together slightly off from the factory, but that shouldn't matter since there was a seal in there in the first place. When I took this thing apart the flange was bent and the bearing retainer had rubbed against the seal and destroyed it. Is there some kind of trick to install these seals? I was using a 2 1/8" piece of exhaust pipe, that just barely fits inside the seal to tap it in. I'm working on a '67 GTO with a 10 bolt.

Old 02-11-2004, 08:36 PM

I am having a heck of a time getting a new seal in the housing. It doesn't seem to want to go all the way to the back on the lower part of it and starts to crooked. When I look in the tube it looks as if the axle tube and flange were welded together slightly off from the factory, but that shouldn't matter since there was a seal in there in the first place. When I took this thing apart the flange was bent and the bearing retainer had rubbed against the seal and destroyed it. Is there some kind of trick to install these seals? I was using a 2 1/8" piece of exhaust pipe, that just barely fits inside the seal to tap it in. I'm working on a '67 GTO with a 10 bolt.

Old 02-13-2004, 05:55 PM

The axle seals on the 8.2 and 8.5 rear ends with bolt in axles should not have to be tapped in with a pipe or anything. Put a little grease on the outside of the seal with the axle retainer in place over the seal, tighten the 4 axle nuts down a little at a time and the retainer will push the seal into the housing. The seal does not go all the way into the housing where it will be flush. It will stick out just a little but it should not be cocked to one side. You can take the retainer back off and check it to see after you get it in.