Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-30-2002, 07:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How can you tell if your car is suspossed to have a vented gas cap or not????? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/Pre1964Pontiacs.html

Old 12-30-2002, 07:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How can you tell if your car is suspossed to have a vented gas cap or not????? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-31-2002, 01:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I guess nobody knows

Old 12-31-2002, 02:37 PM

No vented cap required ...if.... you have a vented
gas tank neck or vent from top of tank to fuel pump (I think this is on AC cars only) You have to vent somehow, somewhere!

Old 01-01-2003, 07:33 AM

IIRC, GM A and B bodies got external fuel tank vent gadgets behind the rear seats in about '71 or '72. Prior to that, a vented cap was used.

Old 01-01-2003, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

61Man, I don't know the arrangement on early cars. But, on my 70 GTO, it has two vents. One is about 2" below the cap and originally used a small section of hose to attach to a small diameter "U" shaped section of metal tubing mounted so the top of the "U" was at the top. The "U" section was mounted in a rubber plug/grommet which was located just to the left of the trunk latch. These "U" shaped sections of tubing are hard to find and frequently rusted or plugged beyond all repair. Currently, I'm simply using a section of fuel line to accomplish the same effect until I can find a good "U" section.

The other vent is toward the front of the tank and is a section of rubber tubing with a small fuelproof filter at the end. The "filter" only serves to keep insects and other foreign debris from entering the tank and getting into the fuel lines.

Old 01-06-2003, 08:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I asked the same question some time ago and also did not receive an answer, but...

My '69 has the same inverted "U" set-up as decribed by 78 GHOST, not left of the trunk latch but within the confines of it. I went on the assumption this was for venting, so will be buying a non-vented cap.

1969 GTO Restoration