Old 04-01-2002, 11:53 AM

I've developed an oil leak in that very bad place between the bell housing and engine. I suspect it's the rear main oil seal. The engine has been rebuilt and only has about 2000 miles on it, of which I've put on 1000. As soon as I got it, I started using Mobil 1 synthetic oil. The leak started very soon after this change, and has steadily gotten worse.

Is it possible that the synthetic oil caused this problem? Will a return to conventional oil help correct the problem, and if so, what type/brand should I use? If I must replace the seal, can I do it from under the car, or do I have to pull the engine?

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Schlitzman

Old 04-01-2002, 11:53 AM

I've developed an oil leak in that very bad place between the bell housing and engine. I suspect it's the rear main oil seal. The engine has been rebuilt and only has about 2000 miles on it, of which I've put on 1000. As soon as I got it, I started using Mobil 1 synthetic oil. The leak started very soon after this change, and has steadily gotten worse.

Is it possible that the synthetic oil caused this problem? Will a return to conventional oil help correct the problem, and if so, what type/brand should I use? If I must replace the seal, can I do it from under the car, or do I have to pull the engine?

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Schlitzman

Old 04-01-2002, 12:21 PM
Senior Chief

Could possibly be the gasket between the block and the oil pump. Yes, the oil pump! GM changed the specs on this gasket concerning the size. Alot of my friends have had this problem after a rebuild. Does your leak seem to be in this area,coming through the oil pan rail? The gasket is a little smaller than it used to be and the material between the oil feed and the outside of the gasket is very narrow now,allowing oil pressure to seep by/blow past the gasket.
This may be your problem. It is hard to diagnose but this is what many people around here have found, also Mobil1 seems to find any weak spot and then leaks through it. Who rebuilt the engine?
Let me know what you find out.
Good Luck,
Steven

-----------------------------------
GTO-The Great One for 1967
-----------------------------------
Old 04-01-2002, 10:07 PM
Senior Chief

my car was leaking pretty bad leave a big spot every time i parked it i tightened the oil pan that i did not think was loose but i turned each bolt just a little a no more leak thank god i thought i needed a rear main seal. now to the next thing(s) i need. try it can't hurt
Don

Old 04-01-2002, 11:11 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Sounds like the new cheezey Rear seals that they put in the kits! The new ones are fiberglass and aren't worth a pile of s**t! the old ones were asbestos. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2002, 12:11 AM

Thanks for the responses. Your help is much appreciated.

Tiger: I checked the oil pump area--- everything is clean there. The leak is coming from a place below the oil pump.

Don: I checked the pan bolts once before, but I'll check again. How much can you bear down on these things?

Blackcat: Any advice on what I can do next without changing the seal? What seals should I use? Is there anything else I can do without pulling the engine?

Thanks again,

Schlitzman

Old 04-02-2002, 01:08 AM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

BOP enterprises AKA Wade produces a new neopreme Rear main seal! Or you can locate an old one from about 5 years ago. Sadly, it looks like you have to pull the engine to do the main replacment.

Old 04-02-2002, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have to ask.. how long did it take you to put 1000 miles on this motor.

I've found in the past that almost all of my Pontiacs developed a leak in the rear most portion of the engine if they sat unused for too long. They generally resealed themselves after being driven consistently.

Old 04-02-2002, 01:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oil pan bolts are 12 ft/lbs.

Old 04-03-2002, 10:15 AM

Thanks again to all. I've found the info very valuable.

Blackcat: Where can I get info on BOP/Wade products?

Andre: It took over nine months to put on the 1000 miles. The car sat in a garage for weeks at a time, and wasn't moved at all from December to March. I did replace the stock radiator with a Be Cool cross flow type in March--- Virginia summers are not kind to Pontiac cooling systems--- and ran the engine multiple times at fast idle during the day of switch over to flush/fill the new system. I noticed the oil leak when I road tested the car about two weeks later. Think this is all related?

Thanks to all!

Regards,

Schlitzman

Old 04-03-2002, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As I am always looking for the easy way out, I say drive the car about 20 miles a day for the next 3-5 days, and see if it is still leaking.