Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-16-2000, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know this is not a Pontiac related, but it's a problem that's been driving me crazy. I have a 1986 Caprice Classic, my girls call it the limo...LOL. Here's the problem, it had a hesitation at about 25 -30 mph, trying to go up hills was a nightmare until it shifted into low gear, then every thing is find.
Then it seems like it has no power. So I changed cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter, plugs, check the timing, that was ok.

When none of that work, I had some else look at it, he said the EGR valve was gone, so he
disconnected the ERG valve and plug the hose, the hesitation was gone, but then it started pinging. Now every thing seems fine for the first 5 minutes of driving, until it gets hot, no pinging, but after that it's ping city, and no power. So I put a new EGR valve in, still pings. I thought the weights in the disb were sticking, so I check, guess what no weights in this disb. Now the car has been at a garage for two days, he says he can't find the problem, and it looks light some one has been into the crab. He check the crab pump, says it's ok, and suggested it mite be the crab. Now I have one that came offer my Caprice wagon ( same crab ) that I know works good. Has anyone had this problem ? Could it be the computer ? any help will be appreciated .

Old 06-16-2000, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know this is not a Pontiac related, but it's a problem that's been driving me crazy. I have a 1986 Caprice Classic, my girls call it the limo...LOL. Here's the problem, it had a hesitation at about 25 -30 mph, trying to go up hills was a nightmare until it shifted into low gear, then every thing is find.
Then it seems like it has no power. So I changed cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter, plugs, check the timing, that was ok.

When none of that work, I had some else look at it, he said the EGR valve was gone, so he
disconnected the ERG valve and plug the hose, the hesitation was gone, but then it started pinging. Now every thing seems fine for the first 5 minutes of driving, until it gets hot, no pinging, but after that it's ping city, and no power. So I put a new EGR valve in, still pings. I thought the weights in the disb were sticking, so I check, guess what no weights in this disb. Now the car has been at a garage for two days, he says he can't find the problem, and it looks light some one has been into the crab. He check the crab pump, says it's ok, and suggested it mite be the crab. Now I have one that came offer my Caprice wagon ( same crab ) that I know works good. Has anyone had this problem ? Could it be the computer ? any help will be appreciated .

Old 06-16-2000, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Gach, you of all people....86 Caprice? There better not be any trouble when the 68 Firebird guy posts about his 68 bird with the 460 Ford in it!

Old 06-16-2000, 06:23 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Gach,
It would run better with a Pontiac motor in it!! Seriously, All computer controlled engines have Lots of sensors. When one goes bad the rar will run like s**t. Most common is the O2 sensor. Have someone with a Diagnostic plug in computer check out your car.

------------------
Mr. Z

Old 06-16-2000, 07:16 PM

I know this is like the student telling the professor, but here goes.
I had simular problems with my '79 Bonneville,hard delayed shifting,constant pinging,and just plain sluggish no power.It could have just been the 301 but I went and changed every vacume line in the car. Some wierd set up. The vacume line for the trans went into a double tee that was shared by no less then five other vacume lines,some with small cracks enough to interfear with the trans shifting and the advance on the distributor but not enough to really make the car idle rough.
Anyway the car never ran so good,and since it's the newest thing I own I think I'll keep it another twenty-one years.
good luck.Sometimes the simple thing are enough to mess up your day
P.S Whats a crab,and does it belong on a car.

Old 06-16-2000, 07:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Did you read the service code lights? It needs to be put on a computer. Could be you broke your crank, you know you can't run 8.4 on pump gas...In a chebby. LOL!

Old 06-16-2000, 08:54 PM

Dave`s right.....check the service code lights. The book (available at most auto part stores for free) should tell how to jump which terminals with a paper clip, and what the series of lights indicate is your problem, (though I suspect it`s not good for your car to have crabs!) The 454 in our motorhome did the same thing.....it was the crab, er, CARB!

Old 06-16-2000, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you car is an 86 it could be just gummed up from age. Does it have a TBI in it? if so I would take the air cleaner off start it up and spray Gumout down the throtle body, sometimes this will clean the sensors off. If that does not work I would buy a bottle of Chevron Techron, it comes in a black bottle and cost about $6.00. Add the Techron when you are about down to 1/4 tank and fill up, it may take a day or two before you notice any difference - don't laugh this stuff really works. If both the Gumout and Techron don't work at least you won't be out more than $10.00 and then you can go for the more costly repairs.

Old 06-16-2000, 10:37 PM

gach , what the problem is with the chevy is that the egr valve is getting full vacuum all at once. this is common on those units. take a piece of 1/8" copper tubing about 1" long and connect it to a hand held vacuum pump leaving the other end open.with side cutters restrict the tubing until the vacuum guage doesn't drop off imediately. you'll have to experiment a little as each engine responds differently.it's kinda like rejetting a carb. you'll want approximately 1 second delay from release to 0"of vac. this will fix the problem. mike

[This message has been edited by mike nixon (edited 06-16-2000).]

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-17-2000, 06:05 PM

Gach, I think the problem is they are not crabs, being by your heads they are probably lice! Use some DEET, that should take care of your problems. BTW: Do you find yourself scratching your filter?

Old 06-17-2000, 08:51 PM
Suspended

Gach:

You weren't specific on the model of the crab; Is it a Rochester or an Old Bay crab?

HAHAHAHAHHAHA!!

You putz.

[This message has been edited by Scott Misus (edited 06-18-2000).]

Old 06-17-2000, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

David, Scratching your...filter? too much, LMAO, you're being to hard on poor Gach. On more syrias note, I bet Mike's fix works, sounds like an EGR-timing problem, either that or...a bad muffler bearing?

Old 06-18-2000, 07:55 AM
Senior Chief

Daivd, how is it that you are so knowledgable on the lice procedure?? TM

Old 06-18-2000, 12:35 PM

Triggerman, While you were in Home Economics and Sewing class most of us Real men were in Shop and Sex Ed… And actually having sex too… LOL! BTW: it' D a v i d

Old 06-18-2000, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What a bunch of great guys, this is to funny. Hey I'm helping some of you guys with your cars, an learning allot about computers, and how spell checkers works, at the same time got my car fix, man that was driving me crazy. Mike's fix work, thanks Mike I own you one, no more pinging, or hesitation, now I'm ready to take on some Pontiac 400's......LOL.. Not a chance I'd get killed.
Triggerman, I'm still laughing, I never knew how that dictionoary work, look for a great improvement in my spelling, of curses you may still not under stand what I'm saying, but at least the words will be spelt right......LOL

A little history behide my Caprice Classic, it was a car I couldn't refuse....LOL.... The car was a one owner, and cherry, loaded with air, power windows, seats you know the rest, and had 60,000 miles on it, and had been kept grange. Not bad for 500 bucks. Having three daughters, two of whom are of the driving age, doesn't leave daddy with to much money for a car of his own car, of curse having
toys don't help either. Trying to take care of 4 cars is enough to keep anyone broke, let alone have a toy. The car is black with a black vinyl top, my wife calls it the Mafia car....LOL.. the girls call it the Limo because it's so big. Thanks to all for the help.

Old 06-18-2000, 10:23 PM
Senior Chief

DH (Much easier), I take it that your shop and sex ed were actually in the same room at the same time. Some type of student rotation system from under the hood to the back seat? How did that work? LOL. TM
Gach, isn't technology wonderful? But how would we know it is you?

Old 06-18-2000, 10:47 PM

TM, Kinda like Show and Tell! LOL! How did the journey go today? Well I hope.

Old 06-19-2000, 11:32 AM
Senior Chief

Actually pretty smooth. Only incident was I lost my GTO hat into the drink. But I made the crew turn around and go back to retrieve it. It floated long enough to accomplish this. Total trip was 6 hours...TBay is a huge body of water. TM

Old 06-19-2000, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If anybody has a picture of Triggerman WITOUT his GTO hat, please forward such picture as It's wanted by the Smithsonian Institute of historicial services as a rare item. His wife keeps complaining about him wearing it to bed. She has a crease in her forehead from the brim of damn thing. Hasn't seen a washer either. ewe, gross. later.

[This message has been edited by PONTIAC DUDE (edited 06-19-2000).]

Old 06-19-2000, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gach, what is a crab on the intake? I know you live in Rhode Island, Is your car a flood car from the Atlantic? Hentz, the crab living there. Or is this some limited edition model that none of us are privy too? The a and the r aren't even close on the keyboard. BTW Gach. I have in my possesion an e-mail from TM with a misspelled WORD. ( I can e-mail it to you). I think I'm gonna go on E-Bay any put it up for bid. A VERY rare item, eh?