Old 12-25-2002, 06:15 PM

I have a 68 Lemans with the factory shifter. I took the shifter out to clean/lube it. I doing this I disconnected the neutral safety switch. Now I have to put my car in neutral to start it. How do you adjust this switch to get it back the way it was?

Old 12-25-2002, 06:15 PM

I have a 68 Lemans with the factory shifter. I took the shifter out to clean/lube it. I doing this I disconnected the neutral safety switch. Now I have to put my car in neutral to start it. How do you adjust this switch to get it back the way it was?

Old 12-25-2002, 09:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to 1-GTO

I'm not sure about the '68's ,but on the '69 GTO/LeMans there is a small rod that runs along the top of the steering wheel shaft that runs under the dash.This shaft moves up and down when you move the shifter on the console and the small rod is what moves the nuetral saftey switch.There is also a linkage rod on the drivers side of the firewall in the engine compartment that causes you collar on your steering assembly to move!If the bracket on the side of the transmission is loose where the shifter cable hooks onto this can cause trouble also.In other words it could be the small rod on the column,the nuetral saftey switch could be bad or you may have a problem with the shifter cable or linkage?Start with the easiest and work your way down the line if the problem still exist!

GTO.....Gran Turismo Omologato,True Pontiac Excitement!

Old 12-26-2002, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With the switch on the shifter, just loosen the bolts that hold it on and move it forward or back until you get contact in Park and Neutral.

TIGER EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection for the Traditional Pontiac Engine. bill@tigerefi.com

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 12-30-2002, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is what the rod looks like. A friend sent me this when I went through the same problem.

Adjust the length of the long rod going vertical. Have someone in the car and try moving it from 1st to park and back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stcollinkage.jpg (48.7 KB, 111 views)

69 Gto, 390 posi gears,th400 w/jim hand converter/406 pontiac/#64 HEADS/ 10:1 compression/ 190 PSI with/ TRW 160 thou domes / hooker headers 1 7/8, PRW 1.5 rockers, 405 Crower Springs, Holley 750 vac with proform upgrade, Performer RPM on points / 284 H Single Pattern Crane
Old 01-02-2003, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the help. I guess I forgot to say my shifter is on the floor and not on the column. I messed with the safety switch and still not having any luck. I don't understand.. everything work fine until I disconnected it to clean the shifter. I'll keep messing with it I guess.