Old 10-07-2002, 09:40 AM

In the Goofiest Car thread in the Lobby I posted my first car was an Opel Manta and the subject of my father’s Opel GT came up. I guess I just never though of it as a Pontiac story, but there is an important link. The story sounds like a lot of whining, I really don’t deserve any thing, I know. But to an 18 year old kid, well, you’ll see.

My dad had a procession of ‘66-67 GTOs when I was a kid, the last being a ’67 automatic with a vinyl top that he got sometime in the mid 70s. Well, that was, of course, a pretty bad time to have a muscle car, and he started to get into Opels. Four cylinders, but still sporty. The GTO was a nice running car, and just kind of got parked and driven, not really worked on, while the Opel GT got restored.

Well, in 1982 I went to college. By this time the GTO was parked and dusty. I told my father, for graduation from college, I wanted the GTO. It was just sitting anyway. He said, you graduate from college, you can have anything you want.

Within the year the GTO was sold, to pay for, get this, the paint job on the Opel. Aaargh!!

But wait, there’s more! He moved to Florida about six years ago and took the Opel with him. One day, some time ago, he tells me, that’s your inheritance. Well, the Opel is a nice car. I drove it to two high school proms, and it does have “my” GTO for a paint job. There is a sentimental attachment.

Last year he comes up to visit and tells me some guy offered him $7000 for the car, he thinks he’s gonna sell it. Déj* vu! I tell him, what, I thought it was mine! Oh, I didn’t think you would want it. So I discuss with my wife and we decide we’ll buy it for $7000!

Two days of discussion, and he asks where I’ll keep it. I only have a two car garage. We’ll find a way, I say. In the end he decided not to sell it, I think he fears I would store it outside. I guess its still there waiting for me, my Opel GT, oh.

TeeJay
'86 Grand Prix 2+2
'98 Grand Prix GT

Old 10-07-2002, 09:40 AM

In the Goofiest Car thread in the Lobby I posted my first car was an Opel Manta and the subject of my father’s Opel GT came up. I guess I just never though of it as a Pontiac story, but there is an important link. The story sounds like a lot of whining, I really don’t deserve any thing, I know. But to an 18 year old kid, well, you’ll see.

My dad had a procession of ‘66-67 GTOs when I was a kid, the last being a ’67 automatic with a vinyl top that he got sometime in the mid 70s. Well, that was, of course, a pretty bad time to have a muscle car, and he started to get into Opels. Four cylinders, but still sporty. The GTO was a nice running car, and just kind of got parked and driven, not really worked on, while the Opel GT got restored.

Well, in 1982 I went to college. By this time the GTO was parked and dusty. I told my father, for graduation from college, I wanted the GTO. It was just sitting anyway. He said, you graduate from college, you can have anything you want.

Within the year the GTO was sold, to pay for, get this, the paint job on the Opel. Aaargh!!

But wait, there’s more! He moved to Florida about six years ago and took the Opel with him. One day, some time ago, he tells me, that’s your inheritance. Well, the Opel is a nice car. I drove it to two high school proms, and it does have “my” GTO for a paint job. There is a sentimental attachment.

Last year he comes up to visit and tells me some guy offered him $7000 for the car, he thinks he’s gonna sell it. Déj* vu! I tell him, what, I thought it was mine! Oh, I didn’t think you would want it. So I discuss with my wife and we decide we’ll buy it for $7000!

Two days of discussion, and he asks where I’ll keep it. I only have a two car garage. We’ll find a way, I say. In the end he decided not to sell it, I think he fears I would store it outside. I guess its still there waiting for me, my Opel GT, oh.

TeeJay
'86 Grand Prix 2+2
'98 Grand Prix GT

Old 10-07-2002, 09:59 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>and it does have “my” GTO for a paint job. There is a sentimental attachment.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thats funny , I had the same sort of situation when my older brother passed away he had the 72 GTO I have now, he had no life insurance so my dad gave me the choice of selling the car to help pay expenses or keep the car and he would pay the cost's of burial and the car would be my inheritance from him.
If my brother had not loved this car so much I probably would have sold it and I also thought about burying it with him..

[img]http://photo.msn.s8.com/MS8zLzAvMS8xMDMwLzE1NS8zMi8xWkIzaFVYcnQ5cktKdVY3aU FkV01R/9b98dfeca63b241dc8e2ee6ebaea59a9/clbk=HcZNnT9kkUjOS!YaLuI5R22ttPTlYgkEyKSx2Yrr4jH5V 3cYpyoQ*g$$/jpg.jpg[/img]

This life’s your cup
So drink it up I say, yeah
Say it’s mine so give it all up to me now
And walk that line, don’t let this go, drink it up!
3DD.