The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-26-2005, 07:51 AM
Senior Chief

I have a 69 Lemans and was looking to get my floor pans ordered in the next week or so. I noticed a one piece pan for 68-72 A-body listed on the Ames site.

Says it covers from left to right rocker and from the front seam to the base of the rear seat (19ga).

Anybody install one? Seems it might be better for me since some of the trans hump on my lemans is rusted through. Wondering how the fitment is with a one piece unit verse getting two full length pans (one for each side).

Tony

Old 04-26-2005, 07:51 AM
Senior Chief

I have a 69 Lemans and was looking to get my floor pans ordered in the next week or so. I noticed a one piece pan for 68-72 A-body listed on the Ames site.

Says it covers from left to right rocker and from the front seam to the base of the rear seat (19ga).

Anybody install one? Seems it might be better for me since some of the trans hump on my lemans is rusted through. Wondering how the fitment is with a one piece unit verse getting two full length pans (one for each side).

Tony

Old 04-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I replaced my floor pan (68) using the Ames two-piece unit. Two pieces makes it easier to handle, especially getting it into and out of the car. (Yes, you will take it back out of the car several times before you get it fit!)

The two-piece set also has nice healthy flanges where the floor meets the rockers - makes easier time fitting and welding.

Two-piece floor simply adds one weld down the center after you got the pieces fit into the car.

If I can do it (novice welder and body man) you can, too!

Regards,

Bob Trimpe

Old 04-26-2005, 04:14 PM

I dont know about a lemans but I talked to a guy that used the one piece in a 67 firebird and he loved it. He said he had no problems with it. I am going to replace my 67 bird with the one piece. Looks like alot less welding.

Old 04-26-2005, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Used a 3-piece kit on the trunk of a '67 GTO. We must have pulled those sections in and out 50 times. A 1-piece in this instance would have been a nightmare.

Look at it this way. If you have a 1-piece, you better hope all is correct. With a 2- or 3-piece kit, there's some room for adjustment in case the rest of the quarter areas have flexed at all, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Looks like alot less welding. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, but I enjoy welding!
Ugg! Me join metal with FIRE!

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 04-27-2005, 06:13 AM
Senior Chief

Given the fitment and alignment iterations I'm currently doing for my trunk using a 3 piece pan set (replacing body braces, rear cross brace, 1/4 extensions & tank braces) pretty much everything, I think I will go with the 2 piece floors for the pan and a 1 piece under the rear seat.

Thanks for info...

Tony