Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i went to gainesville tonight and made a magical discovery that helped my performance yet cost me absolutely nothing. after my 4th time trial pass (11.97 @ 110) i got back to the pits and did my normal check under the hood. much to my dismay i found that the power steering belt had been spun sideways on the crank and PS pulleys. knowing the belt was junk for sure, i loosened the pump and removed it. i dialed 11.95 in the dial-in for dollars contest and ran 11.88 @ 112.5 less than 30 minutes after the 11.97!!

i knew i wanted to delete the power steering to make room for an electric water pump/alternator relocation in the future, but i had no idea simply removing the pulley would help out so much. i dialed a 11.88 for the first round of eliminations and went 11.83. i lit the lamp of defeat at the line, but i was thrilled that the car picked up .14 and 2 mph in less than an hour. to top it off, steering was not nearly as difficult as i thought it would be. i didn't really notice the difference during either of the 2 runs after the belt came off.

i'm definitely not going back to power steering after tonight, so i need opinions on what would be the best way to proceed. i have 2 options at this point...remove the PS pump, cap the lines and drive it like i did tonight, or buy a manual box (i'm not gonna go dig through a junkyard) to drop in there.

please offer opinions on which option will work out the best. i think i've got my extra block and crank sold on monday, so i'll be ordering the alternator relocation bracket from spotts very soon. since i'll have the extra cash, i'll buy a new or remanned manual box if capping off the lines on my current pump isn't a good idea. heck, my engine compartment might actually look like it belongs in a race car before long.

97 Trans Am WS6
Best ET: 12.13
Best MPH 114.6
74 Formula 455
Best ET: 11.97
Best MPH: 112.58

Old 04-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i went to gainesville tonight and made a magical discovery that helped my performance yet cost me absolutely nothing. after my 4th time trial pass (11.97 @ 110) i got back to the pits and did my normal check under the hood. much to my dismay i found that the power steering belt had been spun sideways on the crank and PS pulleys. knowing the belt was junk for sure, i loosened the pump and removed it. i dialed 11.95 in the dial-in for dollars contest and ran 11.88 @ 112.5 less than 30 minutes after the 11.97!!

i knew i wanted to delete the power steering to make room for an electric water pump/alternator relocation in the future, but i had no idea simply removing the pulley would help out so much. i dialed a 11.88 for the first round of eliminations and went 11.83. i lit the lamp of defeat at the line, but i was thrilled that the car picked up .14 and 2 mph in less than an hour. to top it off, steering was not nearly as difficult as i thought it would be. i didn't really notice the difference during either of the 2 runs after the belt came off.

i'm definitely not going back to power steering after tonight, so i need opinions on what would be the best way to proceed. i have 2 options at this point...remove the PS pump, cap the lines and drive it like i did tonight, or buy a manual box (i'm not gonna go dig through a junkyard) to drop in there.

please offer opinions on which option will work out the best. i think i've got my extra block and crank sold on monday, so i'll be ordering the alternator relocation bracket from spotts very soon. since i'll have the extra cash, i'll buy a new or remanned manual box if capping off the lines on my current pump isn't a good idea. heck, my engine compartment might actually look like it belongs in a race car before long.

97 Trans Am WS6
Best MPH 114.6
74 Formula 455

Old 04-19-2003, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you keep the power steering box,don't cap the lines. You need to fill it as full as you can and put a loop of hose connecting the fittings.

johnta1
Pontiac Power RULES !!!
www.wallaceracing.com

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-19-2003, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I take it we are talking the '74 bird here? Definatly go with the manual box and also you will need tie-rods, drag link, idler arm and pitman arm for manual car.

1971 Base Firebird..505ci IA 2A Round port E-heads by Butler 348 cfm.. Comp street SR 266/272@.050 Victor intake/Quick Fuel Q950. 1 7/8" Dougs headers..3" mandrel bent exhaust with Hooker Max Flow mufflers, T-350 well built with 10" 4000 stall nitrous Continental converter..3.73 posi . Caltracs and 10" slicks. Belt driven water pump, alternator, Pwr steering and brakes,Flex fan. 11:1compression, straight 93 octane pump fuel. 10.35 @ 129.88 with 1.45 60ft N/A at 3700lbs race weight.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Have to go with John on this one. I did exactly the same thing on my 68. It's cleaner to find a manual box, but if you can live with it the way it is, who cares, and it's cheap.

Old 04-19-2003, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johnta1:
If you keep the power steering box,don't cap the lines. You need to fill it as full as you can and put a loop of hose connecting the fittings.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i am leaning that way at this point, the only problem being that the box is leaking. is it safe to assume that this is what caused the bearing failure in the pump?

i was so busy getting the belt off i never checked the fluid level in the pump, but it isn't leaking enough to put any fluid on the ground. i did see fluid on the front suspension parts and in other places further back on the underside of the car.

97 Trans Am WS6
Best MPH 114.6
74 Formula 455

Old 04-20-2003, 06:52 AM
On Vacation

I bought the Flaming River aluminum steering box and steering shaft with the billet couplers. Awesome set up. Much lighter than my factory manual box and it looks great too! I was going to install a rack untill I realized how expensive that would be.

My first choice.

My second choice would be to get a stock box that is already rebuilt. No sense in buying one from a junk yard, although I'm sure some will recommend it, but I think you'll find that junk yard parts belong in a junk yard and are often there for a reason. In other words, it'll probably start leaking, just like the one you have now..........

Chance favors the prepared mind.

Old 04-20-2003, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

something tells me that the flaming river box might be a little expensive for my blood. where would be the best place to buy a rebuilt manual steering box for my car?

97 Trans Am WS6
Best MPH 114.6
74 Formula 455

Old 04-20-2003, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mullins Steering Gears at 928-505-3032.

'Damn right it's a street car'

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 04-20-2003, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thank you mr. coombes, i'll call them tomorrow.

97 Trans Am WS6
Best MPH 114.6
74 Formula 455