Old 07-17-2005, 08:47 PM

Hi, folks:

Would anyone happen to have any pics of the neutral safety switch set-up, for '77-'81 F-Body, auto., "SlapShifter"/floor shifter applications? My ('79 T/A "SlapShifter," if I remember correctly) does not even have a hint of a bracket nor a switch, where I would expect it to be located at. Oddly enough, I purchased a spare '76 Firebird tilt-steering column and auto. floor shifter (regular) off of a buddy of mine, and it has the switch at the column-shift location; the '76 was a factory floor-shifter car. Any ideas, tips, etc. on this would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!!!

P.S.: If anyone would happen to have the assembly (bracket + switch), that would be an even BIGGER help! Thanks again!

--- Chris

Old 07-17-2005, 09:11 PM

I found what I was looking for, thanks to this thread!
http://forums.performanceyears.com/g...1/m/7981086821

Thanks for posting that link, George!

Old 07-17-2005, 10:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

All 2nd gen TA's had the switches on the column. They used the clumn shift linkage to operate the switches. Real pain when you swap headers in. You have to get creative with microswitches if you want to move them down to the shifter.

"If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"
Old 09-05-2005, 03:11 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy
All 2nd gen TA's had the switches on the column. They used the clumn shift linkage to operate the switches. Real pain when you swap headers in. You have to get creative with microswitches if you want to move them down to the shifter.
I am afraid that I am not understanding this.

How did the 2nd-Gen F-Body cars w/ the factory ratcheting floor shifter/"SlapShifter" have their neutral safety switches mounted? On the driver's side of the shifter base itself, correct?

Old 09-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Hurst Dual gate uses the fatory one on the column. The linkage for it goes from the tranny to the column. The shifter connects to the tranny. So if the linkage is in place the shifter itself should not need one. My round port Hookers fot great with the factory linkage.

Old 09-12-2005, 05:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy
When I put the flowtech headers in my 75, I rebent the transfer rod so I could fit it around the headers and use the factory switches. Only took me 7 hrs 9 skinned knuckles and every swear word in the book.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been looking for this as well, but what I can see there isn't a neutral safty switch on my 79 firebird auto. The switch that should be the neutral safty switch, doesn't have any electrical for it to be a neutral safty switch(this is the switch on the collumn).It looks like the linkage just doesn't allow you to turn the key unless it's in neutral or park.

I could be way off on this. hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Switch on the column is down toward the bottom on the top of the column. The linkage from the tranny rotates the column piece that spins and activates the switch for P and N, internally.