The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-26-2005, 11:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Angry Another cry baby thread

Here I go again...
I went out to my garage tonight to get a little work done on the old Goat. There is a spot in the driver rear quarter that is rusted through and filled. I could see this from the inside. Not real bad, 1" x 8" maybe, I can fix that. I decided to sand off the paint in that area tonight and start the cut and weld tomorrow morning when its not 105+ freaking degrees!!
So I start sanding away with my power sander and in about 5 minutes I had created a disaster. Imagine a half gallon container of fine talcum powder dumped over you and sprayed throughout the garage! The filler is about 1/4 inche thick. Meanwhile I was sweating so bad I had to wipe the sweat out of my eyes every 20 seconds. I'm serious.
That's when it hit me that I don't think I'll be sanding the car down in the garage. I have a wife and she expects to have a decent clean place to park clean cars and I respect that....
O.K. I 've had my shower and I finally quit sweating after 30 minutes in the AC.
So I guess my first option is to find someone who will soda blast the D*mned thing.
Anyone ever have this done?

Old 08-27-2005, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Definitely do the dirty work outside of your work area. When you hit bondo/filler - grab a 5" or 7" grinder and use the lowest speed you can get by with. Electric grinders don't "stir" the air as much as air operated tools. A strategic placed electric fan will move most of the dust away from you and the car, might also keep you a little cooler too.

Now dry your crying eyes and get back busy on the Car !

Old 08-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I buy box fans when they are on sale. Open the garage door and set the fans on the floor and pull the door down on top of the fans with the fans pulling the air outside. Then open a door or window on the opposite end of the building.

Old 08-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

After posting last night, I went a looked over the past threads on paint stripping. I decided to try the razor blade and aircraft stripper. I went out this morning to Harbor Freight and Spaceage paints and picked up a couple of razor blade holders, 100 pack of blades, and a quart of aircraft stripper.
I started with the blades. This seems to be the way to go as long as you are not stripping over filler. I plan on stripping all of the non filled areas with this method. Which should be 80-90% of the car. for the filled areas I have been applying the aircraft stripper. It will soften the filler about 1/16" deep or so. Multipule applications and a clean sharp scraper have pretty much gotten me to the metal now from the rear wheel well on back. The filled area is about to the top of the wheel well and from the wheel well back. There are some rusted areas here that I will cut and patch weld. The rust is in the area behind the chrome rear rocker panel. The picture shows how much was striped just using the blades. 5$ for 100 blades at Harbor.
I got out there in the garage early and started the little door window AC unit. It was 82 in the garage at 9:00 am and finally got to 92 at about 2:00pm. Felt pretty nice and cool to me. Pretty sad eh?? 110 outside today, we generally hibernate this time of year, like the winter back in the midwest where I grew up. You get summer cabin fever! Only another month or so before we are out of the real hot stuff and back to 8 months of great weather.
Thanks for the replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stripper tools.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	25756   Click image for larger version

Name:	quarter strip.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	25757  

Old 08-29-2005, 12:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to Goin' Topless

When you apply the stripper, lay a sheet of plastic over it while it's still wet. It slows the stripper's evaporating and can loosen up some more material. Also helps with fumes.

You may already know this, but if you brush it on in one direction only it'll work better.

Have fun! I stripped my whole front clip in two days this way.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:40 PM

I had my inner fenderwells soda blasted and they turned out great. The guy told me he could do the hole car for $700. He even said he could shoot over the glass and it would not scretchn it. If I were starting over that is the way I would have gone.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Poor baby..........heat too much for you?

Just kidding, AZ......I'd rather be oout there than deal with our gray winters for 7 months.
But remember.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dry_heat_1k.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	25864  

Old 08-29-2005, 06:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

George do you know what we here in AZ tell people when they spout off about "yeah but it's a dry heat"?

Yeah, well so is your OVEN a dry heat!

Seriously tho, after spending a week in Tampa, FL last week where one day it was 95degrees and 98% humidity!!! I will take our 110+ at less than 10% humid any day. Problem is that you are sweating SO much when it gets over about 105 (regardless of the humidity and its associated comfort factor) that it just plain dehydrates you so fast that you cannot work outside for any length of time without feeling like CRAP no matter how much water you drink. (Well at my age anyways)