Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 11-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to GTOYANKEE1970
Default South Side or Lakewood Lift bars

Is anyone using either one of these on thier A Body car? If you are, do you have a pic with them installed?
I'm having some wheel hop issues and am considering using them.
Unless there is another better alternative?

Thanks
John

Old 11-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is this a "street" driven car?

The SSM bars are more "race" oriented IMO,have a set on my race car,they do work,just dont think the solid bushings are the best for the street myself.

For a street car I would look into the edelbrock pieces,with the "stop hop" bars for the upper control arm mounts,and tubular arms for both upper and lower,along with the tubular braces for the mounts.

The adjustable uppers also offer the ability to set pinion angle,which can be beneficial somewhat.

There are also other companies that make control arms as well,BMR,H&R parts & stuff,among others,just look for those that allow the rear to travel freely without binding (this can happen with poly-bushings).

Air lift poly air bags can help also in many cases.

Is the car at a pretty much stock ride height?

If it is "raised" any in the rear this just aggravates these issues more too.

Let us in on the car some as it is.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks SC
The car is a 70 4 spd 455 car. Mainly driven on the street but will see some strip duty.
I have 16" front GTA wheels with 255/50's in all 4 corners, with front and rear sway bars.
Slightly higher than stock height, not by much. Wheels and tires all measure in height at 26".
Stock springs in front (original 80k) and 72 GP springs in rear. They are a heavier spring coil. They give a nice ride and hold the car when cornering fairly decent, but bring the car up slightly in rear.

John

Old 11-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The "stop hop" bars should take care of this for you,for more help the other pieces I mentioned can be added as you want/need them later on.

Lakewood and edelbrock have versions of these,the edelbrock pieces look a little more "refined" compared to the lakewood pieces.

This style is nice because it doesnt hang down under the suspension any compared to the lakewood "traction" bars or uses solid busings like the "lift bars" from SSM and others (jegs,etc).

It does'nt affect ride quality greatly either,so for a street car its the way to go IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edl-5213_w.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	32227   Click image for larger version

Name:	lak-21609.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	32228  

Old 11-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just went and took a look at the lakewood/SSM "lift bar" clones,the summit page did say they used poly bushings for those,so they may be more streetable as compared to the solid bushings in the original SSM bars like mine.

That would help bring them more in line for this type of use as well.

Both styles operate on the same pricipals as each other.

Does the car have a rear sway bar on it,that might need some consideration too.

I'd still favor the "stop-hop" style set-up myself,with the edge going to the edelbrock pieces.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had thought you were refering to the older style lakewood "traction bars" for the A bodies,I was'nt even aware they (lakewood) were making a "knockoff" of the SSM style bar till I read this and went looking.

Found that lakewood is making a few other pieces for these as well.

Must not have been keeping up with the "new parts" sections lately...

It does add some new choices,I would want to look at a set of them before I purchased them if I could though.

Thanks for the post,got to learn about some new pieces regardless.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Senior Chief

No prob, I luv the input, how else do we learn!! Do you have a pic of the SSC bars on your car?

John

Old 11-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah,I posted these pics a while back in another thread,see them here:

http://216.178.81.108/forums/showthr...&highlight=SSM

Good thing too,because I'd have to take new ones otherwise,the originals are on one of my hard drive's thats on injured reserve,awaiting recovery of data.

Have back-up pics on another drive,but I took both those off-line right now,and have been running on my old laptop HD.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm going to be updating the rear suspension some as funds allow in the future,going to add the adjustable uppers arms and the braces for the mounts,and want to get a H&R parts & stuff anti-roll bar for it,maybe some better adjustable shocks,and air bags for both sides with H&R's bag spacers just to have them,also going to brace a few things back there.

A lot of that is just for the sake of having it in case its ever needed,as I was told the car had been running in the 10 sec. range as is currently.

I just want to be able to have some adjustment choices for "good" or "bad" track conditions.

The only thing to really consider when using the stop-hop style bars is the room around the upper arms,and access to the rear diff fill hole.

The SSM's you may want to consider the ground clearance,and possibly some sway bar mounting issues.

Mine does'nt have a sway bar on it now,might add one to see how that does,but really more concerned about chassis twist as opposed to rear sway.

Anyhow there are pros and cons either way,have to consider the best method for dealing with this that works for each situation.

Good luck whichever way you choose to go.

Old 11-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gee, for a street car, the 70 has a nice ride and handles pretty good, especially with front and rear sway bars

I think if you use the Southside Machine bars, you've got to ditch your sway bar in the rear, that would be a bummer in my opinion.