67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 68 Firebird & GTO front turn lights?

I've been looking at the AMES catalog as well as a couple of others. And, the front tun lights on the 68 Firebird, and those on the 68 GTO, Lemans lok to be the exact photo. Both the lenses as well as the aftermarket light reflectors. Am I missing something that makes the two not one and the same?

Mike

Old 04-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mike - I've been through this recently. I called PY to find out because a guy had a clean set from a GTO for sale and I need them for a 'bird. No good. They look the same but are slightly different in size I'm told. Sorry.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, I have been looking for a decnt set that fits well for a long time now. Also, on my 68 400 with a TH 400 there is a small kick down switch behind the carb. I needed one really bad when I first bought the car in 99, I found one still at a dealership for the old price. But that is not the normal way I get parts for any of my cars. And the Birds I own are worse that the GTOs. Good luck, and if I happen to see some extra ones I'll let you know. We still have a junk yard a ways from my place that deals in only 75 and older cars. And some of the best pontic parts I havescored over the years have come from them. Been using them for like 20 years. Thanks, ...Mike

Old 05-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm also trying to think of a good reason no one has started making a decent set of these! Now I know that our GTO's may get more support from the aftermarket, but in the past fe years I've seen things start picking up for parts. Dash inserts, heating system parts, and so on. But someone must know the answer to my fifteen year question. For the life of me, I have no idea and can't think of any why someone does not make the imatation wood grain kits for the console, and other parts? You can buy them for a GTO, or for a 2005 Ford Expoloer. But not a 68 Firebird. SO, I made sure with some of the paper used for linning shelfs I bought for $2.99 a roll at my hardware store. not a good match, but when it was all done, looked so much better that the old messed up factory stuff. Also, all console linnings. What could be so hard about making something to re line them with? OK, down from my box now. < MIke >

Old 05-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The new good repo lens for the 68 look exactly like the originals from GM. When I order mine I got 1 GM original and a crappy repo. Complained and Izzy had just got a new line of lens in and he sent me 2. Well with my eyes they matched the factory 1 to a T. But I agree nice repo Rosewood console pieces and a TH400 switch would be nice.