The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-07-2006, 04:39 PM

Default windshield removal?best technique

trying to decide the best way to get the front and rear windshield out of my 69 gto.Someone sells a removal kit but went to 4 different places and nobody has it.does anyone have a trick other than piano or guitar string(music store closed today-sunday)want to get this done asap to get the frame to the sandblaster.thought body will be much lighter with these removed,plus dont want them to crack.Im still not eactly sure how im gonna get the body off yet either.thanks for any and all replies.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did both of mine with weed eater string and a screw driver wrapped a couple times as a handle. Worked great.

It is not a problem.... It is just a blood pressure monitor.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:15 PM

thanks for the tip,ill give that a shot

Old 05-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A tool is made that is pretty much like what has been discribed. I like this method the best. I have a seal cutting tool that is a blade but it is easier to break the windshield with it. The wind shield is easy to crack so be veeeerrry carfull. I have a Paint and Body book that discribes using a putty knife from the inside, slowly working your way around, pushing in wiggling, removing and pushing in again. If your windshield is installed using windshield caulk this stuff is a real pain, dries very hard and hard to cut. Once again, try the wire tool .

Old 05-08-2006, 03:52 PM

Default Windshiled removal tool

I used a windshield removal tool. I had no problem, you just need to make sure you pull it slow, and keep downward pressure on the knife. If the glass has been installed in the last 20 or so years, they probably used urethane, weed whacker string will not cut it. Harbor Freight sells this tool.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i used to install auto glass............try this place..look at the cut out wire......http://www.equalizer.com/Merchant2/m...tore_Code=2004

Old 05-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used one of these. Got it off of ebay pretty cheap. I've also seem them at some of the tool places at flea markets. Cut through the goop on my 67 like butter. Took me no time at all to remove my windshield.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16_2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	52507  

67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 TH400 74cc KRE d-ports piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.50 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s
Old 05-10-2006, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

a great glass tool if you want to throw away the glass when its out..............................be very careful with this.....if it hits the glass it will chip it...........then you're done.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mr. Pushrod- I've been using the pipeknife off that website you linked for years and its my favorite. After a few times you get a feel for "flexing" the utility blade in the channel and nothing is faster or more universal. well, unless you get one of those high $ heated blade thingies. The handle allows leverage but you have to be careful not to put pressure on the glass or "tick" and then you might as well just grab a hammer to finish the job. Sometimes I use the pipekife to cut away all the exposed adhesive to make the wire cut easier and sometimes the pipeknife can be used for the whole job. Depends on the shape of the windshield, the channel gap, interior panels, etc.

grdn24- I recommend practicing removal at a "yank and crank" junkyard to get a feel for it before doing your windshield- there is an endless supply of no-cost training. Also, nothing is harder than OE tapekits baked in the CA sun for 30 years. Bring extra blades.

I got a MAC Tools 90 degree blade/cable/t-handle cutter like 67 455 and I tried it once and now its gathering dust. Not recommended.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pipe knives are great as well.......always use a new sharp blade.........
most people get ahead of themselves with pipe knives by going too fast
and then...........there goes your dash or paint..........not fun.
take your time removing glass, it's not a race.........I'd rather go slow than
ruin my car...........I've put alot of windshields in old cars..........i think they're the easiest to do.......

Old 05-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman
I got a MAC Tools 90 degree blade/cable/t-handle cutter like 67 455 and I tried it once and now its gathering dust. Not recommended.
Guess I got lucky then. My windshield came out with no problems at all with that tool. It had been in my car since 1977 and I used the rubber ribbon stuff to install it and not the harder urethane stuff on teh market now. That may be why mine came out so easily Only reason I pulled mine was to replace the upper dash panel. Windshield didn;t leak but upper dash was in pretty sad shape. I'll put my glass back in once my motor and tranny are in to stay.

67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 TH400 74cc KRE d-ports piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.50 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s
Old 05-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the new "urathane" is very hard once dried........
but it's the best.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I've put alot of windshields in old cars..........i think they're the easiest to do.......
you bet, except them old stiff rubber double groove gaskets. Damn I hate those. I broke a 65 Ranchero windshield the type with the rubber gasket and the metal trim. putting the metal in, almost done just pushing it in the gasket and "tick" right across the corner. LOL

I think it's a whole lot easier to install with urethane since you can actually adjust the set after you place the glass where the tape kits you better get it right on first shot.

Oh yeah, if it has a windshield antenna make sure the lead is in the right place before you set it. I've done that more than once.

Another secret I learned over the years is to paint the windshield channel if you have to do alot of scraping. I see channel rustout here in California and I'm positive it starts from bare metal exposed during windshield replacement.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
you bet, except them old stiff rubber double groove gaskets. Damn I hate those. I broke a 65 Ranchero windshield the type with the rubber gasket and the metal trim. putting the metal in, almost done just pushing it in the gasket and "tick" right across the corner. LOL

I think it's a whole lot easier to install with urethane since you can actually adjust the set after you place the glass where the tape kits you better get it right on first shot.

Oh yeah, if it has a windshield antenna make sure the lead is in the right place before you set it. I've done that more than once.

Another secret I learned over the years is to paint the windshield channel if you have to do alot of scraping. I see channel rustout here in California and I'm positive it starts from bare metal exposed during windshield replacement.
those old rubber gaskets are easy to install with a rope.....
urathane is the best and safest......
90% of channel rust is from a retard putting in a windshield and not covering the scratches..............
the company 3M makes a one step PRIMER for scratches to prevent rust....
this is recommended!!!
if you use paint it must be 110% dry before applying the urathane.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ha ha, you got me Pushrod. I'm a old fart. There wasn't urethane when I started doing glasswork so we had to use paint. When I say paint now, I mean use this stuff. Why do I have 2? Because the little buggers are small and roll away, you buy another and then ta-da there's the first one.

Here is my trusty pipeknife. I tape extra blades to the neck

I don't recommend this. Looks new, eh? If you look close the blade is bent AND twisted. That is why the glass breaks.

I still hate hate rubber gaskets even using rope and windex unless they pop for a new one. I hope these pic's come out otherwise I'll feel pretty foolish

Old 05-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

oops, that's the glass primer. must be Alzheimers use the black lid 8684 for the channel like pushrod said.

Last edited by Batman; 05-10-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:53 AM

Im with Bird Ragtop. Picked mine up at an OReillys for $10 or $15. Had my windshield and back window out in under 90 minutes. Tried an old guitar string and broom handles. Just about lost 3 fingers.

96 Impala SS
Old 05-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
ha ha, you got me Pushrod. I'm a old fart. There wasn't urethane when I started doing glasswork so we had to use paint. When I say paint now, I mean use this stuff. Why do I have 2? Because the little buggers are small and roll away, you buy another and then ta-da there's the first one.

Here is my trusty pipeknife. I tape extra blades to the neck

I don't recommend this. Looks new, eh? If you look close the blade is bent AND twisted. That is why the glass breaks.

I still hate hate rubber gaskets even using rope and windex unless they pop for a new one. I hope these pic's come out otherwise I'll feel pretty foolish
that 3M stuff is the best batman.....
i have the same pipeknife
i would recommend a new blade for that pull knife
try silicone instead of windex......or use a brand of glass cleaner like stoner, i think the stuff in a can is the best.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just used the handles from an old jump rope and threaded guitar wire through them. Have a helper on the inside and just work your way around the glass.

John

Old 05-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruz
I just used the handles from an old jump rope and threaded guitar wire through them. Have a helper on the inside and just work your way around the glass.

John
nice......that's a Shade tree mechanic.........remember that show ?