Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 09-02-2006, 05:41 AM
Suspended

Default Trial Runs Tonite

Went to the midnite madness test&tune tonight at Gateway. Figured I'd try to get the car ready for Larry Coopers race in Sikeston Sunday. First pass went ok, but the reaction timer never quit, so no e.t., but it did show a 145 mph. That seemed alittle fast for how car felt. Next time up, burnout goes perfect, leaves ok, shift into high gear and I start feeling a vibration, but it's my leadfoot that doesn't lift. It runs though ok, so I am thinking what is that? A ujoint? Get to pickup e.t. slip, and guess what, the girl dropping her hands too quick for them to activate the timing system !!!! ERRRRRR !!!!! (YOU wouldn't believe how screwed up they run this program, having a guy not paying attention to stage you according to the tree which is behind you so some dizzy no clue teenie bopper can drop her hands to start the pass). So I pull away from the et shack alittle (alot) miffed that I still have no time slips. I get halfway back and pop, stream and water everywhere. Seems the Damper bolt broke and the damper went thru the radiator. So much for racing Sunday. So, how hard is it to get an arp bolt out of the front of the crank?

Old 09-02-2006, 12:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Damn, Sorry about your luck, but it could have been a lot worse if it put the water on the track thru the traps. 145 MPH, sounds like low 9's, nice!

btw, still working on the name change, I have not forgotten.

Old 09-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Senior Chief

Damn that really does suck, was really hoping on seeing ya at the race. Jim Davis, one of Larrys buddies broke his crank last week doing a burnout during trime trials. Needless to say he's outta the race on Sunday too. Hopefully this years race goes over well so we can have it again.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Suspended

I was just figuring on getting some bugs out of the thing Fri. nite before going to Sikeston on Sunday. Guess it got alittle more out than I wanted!!! I am gald it didn't let go during the pass. That short wheelbase might have gotten to be a handful or worst. I put that radiator in this spring too. Would have liked to have more than 2 passes on it! My guess on the vibs during the pass is the bolt had already broke and the damper might have been about off, but thankfully stayed on enough to not screw up the car at speed. Then when I left the e.t. booth, I didn't exactly lightfoot it. It was about a split second after I let off it sent the damper forward. Oh well, that's racing sometimes. Anyone interested in a scarred up damper? SFI approved. Will swap for brand new one.