Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-11-2006, 11:00 PM

Default My Pinks experience

I went out there thinking that they were going to pick 16 cars out of all the nine second cars there. This was based on info from their website. We ran the first time trial and they gave us our time slip. Then we waited and waited and waited. Then they call about 20 cars up to the staging lanes to run. After they run they announce that those cars did not meet their criteria and that they were not in the show. Then we waited some more and they start announcing car numbers and saying what car number is racing who. I raced against a 9.30 mustang and I was running 9.80s. They announced over the loudspeaker that anyone that was running this round was in the show and in the running for $10,000.00. The guy I was running asked me what I was running and when I told him he said that it wasn't right and said he didn't want to win like that. (I thought to myself that this guy should be racing a Pontiac not a Ford because that's how Pontiac people are). He went to the Pinks tech and told him about our situation and they went to the tower and came back and told him that there was a "computer glitch" and that we were both coming back for the next round. I thought that meant that there was going to be a next round but after we raced and I came back to my pit we waited some more to see what they were going to do. They announce about 8 more car numbers to the staging lanes to run. I find out later that they were giving them another chance to try and slow their cars down to make the show. We wait some more and then they just started announcing car numbers and named only 16 and said that this was the (sweet sixteen) and that the action was just starting. I was a little confused and so were all the other racers out there. Pinks got some racers upset when they announced we were still in the running for the money and then they pick 16 cars. I figure it's their show but why would they tell the racers that? Very confusing and unorganized but it was still cool to check out some cool rides. I thought Bill's 65 GTO had a good chance of getting in the show cause alot of cars were close to what he was running. One Pontiac in the show would have been nice. At least the Mustang that I raced got in the show and went to the final four. He was a good guy and I was hoping he would win. Oh well, overall I had a good time and the weather was in the 70s. Thanks go out to Jim and Ellen Thompson and Richard from Tucson for all their support.

Last edited by Darryl Moreland; 12-11-2006 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Were you in the Early 2nd Gen Bird that wouldn't start or was that another Pontiac in the show?

Old 12-11-2006, 11:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Darryl I'm glad you had a good time, but it's BS what they put you through.

With what you and BVR posted they changed the format from the first All out. You were not allowed to sandbag or throttle stop, but it seems this time you could.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:25 PM

69Goat1 that was another episode, this one has not been on TV yet.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some of my friends that attended the pinks deal at the texas motorplex reported similar tomfoolery. What the car would run didn't seem to mesh with winning the event; instead they seemed to be cherry picking cars within a certain ET range for the competition. Also lots of long lines, waits, uncertainty, confusion, and other BS. If pinks ever comes back this way their "field" may be a lot smaller; lots of pissed off people from the first one with some really fast cars that were not chosen.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I imagine some folks felt a little discouraged after towing from California, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, Texas then getting not much more than a couple time trials between hours of waiting around. Everything is a long tow out west! Then again, maybe its like fishing, a bad weekend at the races beats a good day at work. Darryl and crew drove 12 hours to get to the track then a couple hours under the car troubleshooting a brake problem, a couple runs with concerns about head gaskets lifting made a 18 hour day for them. Ironmen!
I guess Darryl is too shy to post up a pic of his 66 GTO race cars. I dont have a pic of his wife's 67 GTO but it was getting as much attention as his car was from spectators admiring her paintjob. The 67 and BigRed both run 10s and the blue one runs 9s.
With due respect to the other beautiful fast Pontiacs at Pinks, I thought Darryl would be chosen for the final 16 on the basis of being a GTO, flashy paint, great performance and a TV smile. He has more teeth than a TV weatherman! You should have seen the babes drifting in around his pit area wanting to meet the driver!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bigred.gif
Views:	166
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	75464   Click image for larger version

Name:	bigblue.gif
Views:	200
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	75465  

My Daddy bought me a car but all I got was this old Pontiac.

Last edited by BVR421; 12-12-2006 at 02:11 AM.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVR421
I guess Darryl is too shy to post up a pic of his 66 GTO race cars. I dont have a pic of his wife's 67 GTO but it was getting as much attention as his car was from spectators admiring her paintjob. The 67 and BigRed both run 10s and the blue one runs 9s.
With due respect to the other beautiful fast Pontiacs at Pinks, I thought Darryl would be chosen for the final 16 on the basis of being a GTO, flashy paint, great performance and a TV smile. He has more teeth than a TV weatherman! You should have seen the babes drifting in around his pit area wanting to meet the driver!
That's a mighty good looking truck in the background in the second picture at Pontiac Heaven. LOL.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That guy gets around doesnt he! (8-)

Old 12-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

darrell

It was nice seeing you at the Pinks deal at Firebird this weekend. It was also great meeting Jim Thompson and chatting with him about his under construction new build that will be sure to drop some jaws when it's done. can you believe that Darrell has two 10 second 67 GTO's and a 9 second 66 GTO, all beautiful cars inside and out. He must be doing something right. All the racers seemed like great guys and some very fast and cool cars were in attendance. There was also a Mayfare Maise 65 GTO there running 9.15's that was a local AZ guy, with pontiac power for sure. I was also very disappointed about how Pinks event was ran. All they care about is the TV show and all the drama. They have no consideration at all for the racers or the fans in the grandstand, just the TV show. I will never attend another one, nor will I ever watch it on TV. Very low class bunch of inconsiderate jerks if you ask me. I got there at 10:00 am and lsft at after 9:00 and they were still jerking people around.

Tim C

Old 12-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Senior Chief

yeah im not real "fond" of the pinks crew either. me and some buddies built a mustang with a sbc and went on the show, twice we won. first time the car broke so we won. they got pist at us. but they invited us back to race some van with a billy bad a$$ motor. he couldnt make it, so we raced the wooley mamouth. we knew we could out negotiate them, but they were settin us up to race a race car to lose. they were totally pist when we beat that car for the 3rd time and took it home. they were all just shocked and dissappointed. its kind of funny though all the pinks crew, rich the most, was wantin us to lose our car to some famous race car, and we won. hahaha

Old 12-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The reality is, its a TV production. I think they should do it the way any other production has to, rent the stage (track), pay union scale to the extras in the stands, pay the rate to all the racers as stunt actors and pay rental for equipment used (race cars) LOL
Instead they are clever enough to get racers and spectators to work for free and pay for the previlege. Screw them.
If they would run it like a real race with round robin eliminations it would have been racing all day with racers doing what they do best and spectators having a good time. Run the cars as 9.0-9.10, 9.10--9.20, etc They could have had 10 $1000 winners. Where are my jalapenos?

Old 12-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tim, I enjoyed meeting and talking with you, too. It's great to put a face with a name. As at almost every event I've attended, the racers were a good bunch and very patient when it came to putting up with delays and confusion. This race was the worst I've seen in the confusion category. Still, the weather was beautiful and the cars were fast--a great motivator for me on my build.

I, too, thought Darryl would be chosen for sure. Everyone walking by was admiring the beautiful paint job and he did nice wheels-up launches. I'm not sure what PINKS was looking for. Their attitude was evident: we're paying the money, so we'll set the rules (and change them if we feel like it, too). They need to show a little more respect for the racers. Walking around the pit area, it was evident that there isn't a nine-second car that doesn't involve a huge investment in time and money on the part of the owners, to say nothing of the expense of all the tow vehicles, etc.

Jim

Old 12-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Senior Chief

Pinks got old quick. Too much background crap, too many cars breaking down, not enough real racing. And then you get to the final and get disqualified for running too fast??? wtf?

I liked the guy who negotiated away his fake nitrous system, stuff like that was fun. Dump Chris as the starter, get some babes instead.

Or maybe some celebs, like Jay Leno racing against Reggie Jackson.

This was the best moment of the whole show
http://insider.speedtv.com/viewtopic.php?t=133617

1981 Trans Am - Dark Maple Metallic
1976 Pontiac 455(462), Kauffman Northwind Intake, Performer RPM Eheads, 11.5:1 compression, Crower 60919 cam, Venolia domed pistions, Dougs Headers, Pypes 2.5" Dual Exhaust/X-Over, Solid Body Mounts, GenIV SFCs, FiTech EFI, Walbro 400lph pump, TanksInc. EFI tank. MSD 6AL2, MSD ProBillet.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:19 PM

When the show first started he was totally clueless about cars and racing. He's not much better now.

The thing that most are missing here is "Its all about the edited version of the show". But they could be better with the racers in attendance. Just announce "we only want people that can run X.XX to X.XX" rather than pick n choose at will.

That said, I'd probably still try to make the show.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Senior Chief

that rocks!!! what an idiot...lmfao...i just fell out of my chair lookin at those pics of him layin over that bike

Old 12-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Senior Chief

Talking

I'm still waiting for the crew to say "stop crying and run what you brung"

Old 12-12-2006, 11:38 PM

Hey Tim, it's always good to see you at the races. Your car always runs good at Pontiac Heaven. I would suggest to Pinks to not give out any time slips and anyone that is throttle stopping their car and running faster than their guiedlines not be allowed in the show. I think most racers know what their car will run and Pinks allows cars that are running faster than what the show wants the chance to try and slow them down. One of the dragsters runs in the 7.90 class and slowed it down to run 9.20s. I don't think they know or don't care that some cars were running on the stop. I ran a car that went 9.38 at 159 mph with a 1.58 60 foot. Oh well what are you going to do. It was still cool to check out some nice rides even if no Pontiacs made it in the show. I still thought that Bills 65 would have made the show. Hey Bill, can you pm me your number I'd like to talk to you about a few things. Richard, you always know how to make me laugh and you better get that 64 ready for Pontiac Heaven. Hopefully we'll see Jim's 63 Tempest this summer at the track. That is gonna be one killer car to watch go down the track.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey,Darryl I tried to P.M. you but got the following message:

(Darryl Moreland has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space)

Let me know when you have room and I'll try again.Bill

Old 12-14-2006, 12:33 AM

sorry about that I just cleaned out the inbox. It should work now Bill.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

P.M. sent. Bill.