Old 03-12-2007, 11:13 AM

Default next big car dash ?

in the attached image you can see the trim peice that's missing in my 65 g/p. i assume this is a separate part like the cover for the heater a/c controls?

i just want to clarify this before i get on with the hunt.

thanks, mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65gp radio area.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	85233  

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bummer. I should have got that dash for you. Just as good & yours has been cut out significantly in the name of Kraco.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 03-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was about to say, that cannot be the factory radio. I thought the radio fit into that hole without any sort of trim piece? I'm probably wrong.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 03-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike, there are 2 types of dash faces for a 65 Bonneville/GP. If you look in the PY or Ames catalog, you will see what I mean. There is a 1st type and 2nd type. Whatever type # your's is, I have one but it needs new woodgrain. I just need to fine where I left it!
That radio is a factory radio, but the last one wasn't.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
I was about to say, that cannot be the factory radio. I thought the radio fit into that hole without any sort of trim piece? I'm probably wrong.
that's an oem am/fm radio out of a 65 catalina.

it's the dash that doesn't fit.

damned kids.......

mike

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-12-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep
Mike, there are 2 types of dash faces for a 65 Bonneville/GP. If you look in the PY or Ames catalog, you will see what I mean. There is a 1st type and 2nd type. Whatever type # your's is, I have one but it needs new woodgrain. I just need to fine where I left it!
That radio is a factory radio, but the last one wasn't.
steve, my dash is the first design according to the ames catalog.

drop me a line when you find it. bad65gp@ hotmail.com we're in the process of changing internet servers and that's my temporary address.

thanks, mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So that is what one looks like. You lucky bast***. I would'nt have to put the cd player in the glove box if I had one of those. Man, when you get lucky you get lucky. I cant believe they cut the dash but man you can replace that, you cannot however find a original am/fm cheap. Does it work?

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 03-12-2007, 08:57 PM

yes it does. i bought it off of a member who found it in a salvage yard and didn't need it.

i have a friend who's dad used to repair them back in the day for gm. he only does work for people he likes since he retired.

i got it wired up and it sounds pretty decent for a 40 yr old radio. the pioneer speakers in the rear deck probably help that some. i've got a front / rear speaker splitter that i kept from a parts car several years ago, that'll go in when i swap out the dash fascia.

so far i've been fortunate in finding parts for this car. it didn't need much to be complete which was a big plus to start with.

the worst thing will be getting the interior color repro'd in the color it is now. i'm waiting on a reply to see if a vendor will sew up seat covers for it now.

mike

- Winston Churchill