Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Head Porting ? - short turn radius template

I'm currently porting the 62 heads from my engine and I'm using the 1.77 sizing valve. According to the Mcarthy video, I ground down a flat spot to shape the valve like the letter "D". However, I'm unclear on the short turn. Both Mcarthy and Jim Hand say to widen the short turn to give a waterfall effect. I want to make sure the pattern is correct. I tried to follow the factory turn the best I could but need to be sure. The video said to use the valve and make a template based on the radius of the valve (assume intake). So do I use the 2.11" intake valve for the radius template or do I use the 1.77? I think it's the 1.77 (sizing valve) but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 05-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Below are a couple of pics somebody posted here a while back that demonstrates the basic idea that you seem to be pondering.

The valve being used to fashion the intake port radius looks to me to be a 2.11" intake valve,thus it stands to reason the radius is more generous than it would be with a smaller valve.

But I cant swear to being 100% on this info,I would advise doing a little searching in the archives for more detailed/accurate info.

I'll see if I can dig up a link to the thread the pics came from.

I've also heard thru some knowledgeable sources that a fella can also make themselves some handy porting templates based off the diagrams inside the old HO racing high performance engine design & blueprint assembly,as those diagrams in the book are supposedly printed to full scale.

HTH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010017.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	91854   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010018.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	91855  

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here you go,found it!!!

Link to short turn thread:
http://216.178.81.108/forums/showthread.php?t=497961

Should answer a lot of your questions,was a real good thread!

Old 05-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you Screamingchief! Figure C on post #8 on that link is what I was needing. I really like how Will calculated push rod buldge guidelines too - very nice link - thanks a ton!!

PS - you going to SAR for the shootout?

Edit: Adding http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=519939 - for reference to pictures of ports.

Last edited by JoePapa; 05-19-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
PS - you going to SAR for the shootout?
I doubt it,I will likely be in another state around that time.

Gonna be up in Wisconsin spectating at BOP days at great lakes dragaway in Union Grove on June 3rd. then the Hot Rod power-tour is going to be in Racine Wi. (my hometown) June 4th,so I'm likely gonna still be up there that weekend,and if I'm just getting back from that,I doubt I would be inclined to make it to the SAR deal.

I would be much more likely to go if I had either of my cars actually running right now...

But alas' time and fund$ have my a$$ kicked right now.

Just dumb luck I get to go do the Wisconsin trip right now,mostly just costing me gas for the trip,no hotel or such,staying at my brothers place in Racine.

Have fun,be safe.