Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 06-11-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Brakes and Suspension

I am upgrading my front suspension and converting over to disc brakes and have a few questions.
1. Will a dual 8" booster work for the brakes?
2. Is there a kit available that includes all bushings and ball joints etc...
3. Are tubular control arms necessary for a mostly street driven car with the occasional 1/4 mile pass? What are the advantages of tubular arms?
4. What is the most recommended spring and shock combination for our cars? Is the hotchkis kit the best or does everyone prefer something else?

Thanks in advance
Bill

Old 06-12-2007, 02:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You ought to describe the car, first off, as it makes a difference on how big a booster you can run.

8" will fit most or all.
Tubular arms are not necessary for street duty, depending on, again, what chassis, what spindle, what engine, and headers or not, as a tall spindle, Pontiac V8, and large tube headers can cause a problem with too many shims that move the upper A-arm in and contact the headers, on early A-bodies.

There are so many choices, it comes down to money, looks, performance, and intent.

Please provide more details.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:51 AM

Sorry, this is on a 1972 Pontiac Ventura with a 350. I posted in the Ventura section but I guess it got moved. This car will be mostly street driven for the next couple years until i get the body work complete and a 455 built. Once this happens I will be more concerend about looks and performance. I would prefer to only buy parts once that will work for both applications. It will never strictly be a race car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karch
You ought to describe the car, first off, as it makes a difference on how big a booster you can run.

8" will fit most or all.
Tubular arms are not necessary for street duty, depending on, again, what chassis, what spindle, what engine, and headers or not, as a tall spindle, Pontiac V8, and large tube headers can cause a problem with too many shims that move the upper A-arm in and contact the headers, on early A-bodies.

There are so many choices, it comes down to money, looks, performance, and intent.

Please provide more details.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How wild do you want to get? There are some companies that sell sub frame kits that offer Corvette front suspension and big disc brakes. if I were to do it once, that is the way I would go.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The dual 8" is a good unit for low vacuum engines. We make a bracket that adapts it to the AFX bodys, just need to trim studs and rod, then rethread rod. Worked very well on a nasty 428 Lemans.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You could also utilize C5 corvette brakes using your drum spindles, though you will need 17" or larger wheels (try Kore3.com).

What is your budget? There are just too many options unless you have some guidelines.