Old 07-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default `70 wood graining match?

Is the dash, steering wheel and shifter knob wood grain supposed to match each other for 1970? I am in the process reparing the wheel and ordering a new `70 wood grain dash insert from PY, but pictures of the wheel perfectly correct appears a lighter color?

thanks

Old 07-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They are all different materials & processes.... id say they should be close BUT NEVER MATCH

Old 07-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Sweet,
I does look like the wheel is a lighter shade of wood than the dash and walnut 4 speed shifter.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Senior Chief

Allen, my 70 wood wheel is a lighter shade than the dash insert as well.

Anybody out there tried to darken the repro wood wheel? Rubbing the wheel with a rag soaked in something like dark brown shoe polish, then clear coat.

It's an expensive experiment though.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

my 4 speed walnut shift know is kind of dark and it is the correct 49.00 repro. All the pictures of the original wood wheel appear lighter in color. Since my wheel is the original it is hard to know the correct shade. My resto regraining effect worked well, and I am having excellent results with the min wax walnut wood stain. I can make it darker by continuing to apply more coats. Afterwards, the spray min wax wood spray clear coat is excellent. I have been experimenting all week. Turned out better than I ever imaged it could. Now, I if I can get the shade correct...