Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Circuit City Experiences?

Has anyone had any negative experience with Circuit City?

I was hoping to buy a new PC from Costco because of their excellent return policy and customer service. But, Circuit City has a better selection and better prices online, so I'm leaning in that direction. I found a few cases online of sour grapes with respect to CC's return policy and restocking fee, but I suppose if you look hard enougn you can find complaints about any company.

Thanks for any info.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Afternoon Bull,
I just bought four HDTV's from our local Circuit City. Initially I bought a 50" DLP Samsung for upstairs and a larger-cheaper rear projection TV for the kids den downstairs. Turned out the 50" was just to much for the living room upstairs (damn, I tried.....). We ended up with the 50" downstairs. So a week later I took the larger-cheaper TV back and swapped it and some cash for a 40" LCD Samsung for upstairs. We also got 2 smaller LCD's (20"?) for wall mounting in the boys bedrooms. I looked at Best Buy, HH Gregg, Sears and Walmart and also read the Circuit City reviews for each product. CC was quick to make the sale and just as quick to make the swap. Of course they came out ahead and I ended up spending $4600........

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:32 PM

I personally like Circuit City. They don't care about quotas or sales $, they will treat you the same as a looker or confirmed buyer. Have proof, and they will match and beat anyones else's price. Not as great of selection as some, but that makes up for the pushy sales tactics of others electronic stores. Even "BEST ----" get kickbacks for extended service plans and will push them on you. The only things worth the extended warranties are handheld items (phones, cameras, etc.) and possible computers if it should be a notebook. All other warranty contracts are a waist of money.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My experence was negative.We bought a computer online with mail inrebate from CC, we didn't set it up for a week.To get the rebate you must cut the bar code off the box and mail it in. When we set it up the modem would not work,after several phone calls with a HP tech we figured out the modem was defective.They were quick to offer to send a replacement that we would install.We were ticked that in buying a brand new computer it should work without us having to replace parts.We took it to the local CC store to just exchange .We took the computer and all the paperwork in and everything was going well until the clerk noticed the bar code that was cut off.
They would not do it!The return policy says the box had to be intact with bar code.
We talked to the supervisor and even CCs 1-800 # to no avail over a stupid bar code.
We went ahead and had a new modem sent to intall but thats not the point.

That was the first and last experence with them

Old 07-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bull I just got a laptop for my son. Had good dealings with them,I won't buy online, if you get a good sales rep you can get a good deal. I got speakers and a printer(not a cheap one I might add) I would have miss out by doing online.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just bought a 65" Toshiba TV from them yesterday. They matched the website price and said if I found it cheaper anywhere in the next 30 days they would refund the difference.
I thought I could find a less expensive stand elsewhere but couldn't. When I bought it from CC they checked online and found it cheaper and matched that price.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

my experience with them has been about the same from best buy.. very good.

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 07-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

Circuit City and Best Buy are both better than Fry's or Conns....beware of recycled crap....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 07-09-2007, 05:36 PM

we've bought several peices from them and never had a complaint. that being said, the store closest to us closed a month or so ago.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Circuit City has been good for us. Had one return over many purchases over several years and it was exchanged without any hassle.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was very happy with CC when I bought my TV last winter. I first bought a Sony Wega but was pissed when I got it home and Sony had decontented it (removed features) since I'd researched it. Brought it back and walked out with a Samsung LCD (did fresh research this time ) in less than 1/2 hour. No questions asked on the return and their price on the Samsung was better than anyone else around by a large amount.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 07-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had nothing but fair dealings with the "city" folks.

Had an issue with the last TV I bought from them,it was emitting a high pitched whistle (drove me absoultely bonkers),traded that unit for another of the same make & model and that one has been fine,just make sure you read the fine print,same as any retailer.

Also had a laptop go belly up,no fault of the laptop or their part,was past the warranty period but they still checked it out and let me know it was toast,no charge to check it out either,did'nt even have the reciept as I had to turn that in to the insurance Co.,they looked it up on their computer and all the info was there,and I had bought the laptop while I was in Wisconsin,but it was here in Texas where they're were checking it out.

I've also returned a set if speakers and a reciever once,no problems then either.

Just read their policies before you open everything up and set it up and you should understand exactly where you stand.

JMO.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Senior Chief

I've bought too much stuff at Circuit City over the last few years...so much I should probably get my own reserved parking space with "Jeff R" stenciled on it. They've always treated us very well, and we've never had any complaints

Old 07-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Never had much trouble with CC except for a worthless extended warranty for a satellite box. CC said to call DirecTV, DirecTV said to call CC. It was less trouble to just buy a new remote. CC is having a hard time financially and if they go under, that only leaves Best Buy in our area. BB is good at making you think you are getting a good price when in reality it's just list price. BB even sells some of their accessories above list price.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave, if you already know exactly what it is you are looking for, then just about any of the big stores will suit your needs. The sales people in these big stores are far from audio and videophiles.

If you need help deciding what is best for your particular situation then it may be worth paying a little more and finding a local Tweeter or a privately owned audio/video specialty business.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 07-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

as i recall this is the company that laid off or fired their long term and most experienced salespeople this past spring. (people who helped them get where they are today) didn't offer them to keep their job at lower wage. just let them go and replaced them with lower paid people. i think in the end they could apply for a job after 60 days. i know at the time i swore them off. of course its all about the money.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Personally, I would never buy a thing from Circuit City.

Did you see what they did a few months ago to their employees?

One time, years ago, I was looking at a TV and they kept pushing the extended warranty. So I asked how much if I buy a warranty without buying a TV.

He went to ask his boss.

I have bought 2 new Dell's in the past few years, but I am done with buying a big name computer...too much garbage loaded on, and too difficult to upgrade/replace parts later on.

I built this one myself last year, and I have, at times, 35 windows open at once and it is still stable.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No from me on CC, but that was a stereo install and equipment. I would run up to COMP USA in Nashua, NH Dave and get it tax free from computer guys.
Cheapest is Emachine ( gateway) which has excellent on line 1 year support, and telephone support, upgrades are cheap. I have bought 3 with little problems, and they were a big help with customer support.
I know there will be flames for mentioning emachines, but they been like old chevy six cyl engines, keep going, and play online games well.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Bruce, good idea on the tax free trip to NH...as long as I don't blow the tax savings in gas!

A friend of mine went to the nearest CC tonight to look at a tv and stereo, so I went with him. At least the salespeople there aren't on commission anymore. I saw the computer that I want and actually tried to buy it, but they are out of stock. The 14 day return policy and potential restocking fee are weak when compared to Costco's 90-day no questions asked AND automatic doubling of manufacturer's warranty.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a 65" TV from them last Saturday. It quit working yesterday. I called the manufacturer's help line.
They concluded that the TV was not working! Told me I had in home warranty on it and gave me the # of the local repair tech.
I called him and he said his delivery/pick-up man only worked two days a week and they could not pick up the set before next Monday or Tuesday. They do not do in home service. And, I would have to take them the sales receipt before they could set up a work order!
So, I called CC. They said bring it back and we'll give you a new one. That is what I did.
They were very friendly and helpful.