Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to SGTGTO
Default I have ZERO crank endplay, what to do?

67 400 block. New cast 4 inch stroke crank from Dave at Enginecraft. FM bearings, standard size. Had the crank in the block, caps torqued down. Put on the dial indicator, set it to zero with the crank all the way to the back, and pried the crank forward. I have ZERO end play. I took off the # 4 cap, and tried it again, and I have 3 thou endplay. What is my next step here guys?

Jake

Old 07-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have the thrust surface ground and or polished.

1971 Trans Am Lucy Blue, 11.56 @ 115
1966 LeMans. 462, SD prepped Kaufman D ports. 11.90 @ 112
1976 Trans Am twin turbo 462, SD Edelbrock heads 8.50@159
2009 G8 GT
Old 07-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Can I sand down the thrust side of the bearing?

What is the width of the space between thrust surfaces of the crank?

Jake

Old 07-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like you haven't seated the thrust bearing. Did you knock the crank forward and back after assembly? Most assembly instructions outline knocking the crankshaft forward and back to "seat" the thrust bearing. Just a thought about a commonly over looked step. JD

Edit: visualize the thrust bearing as a taco or clam shell over the main saddle and cap. By tapping/driving the crank forward/back you are pushing the thrust surface towards the saddle/cap creating a clearance.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did that, little effect if any.

I just went and checked the width of the thrust saddle on the crank. It came out to be 1.1390. I checked out a 3.75 stroke crank I had wrapped up, it was what came in the block... 1.1440.

That is 5 thousandths. And that is where my end play went.

I also measured the thickness of the thrust bearing, and it is 1.1360-1.1370. Thats 2 thousands of clearance. So it is the crank.

In addition to all of this, the crank wont turn fully in the block. The front counterweight hits the block where that rather large hole is on the oil pan rail. The rear counterweight hits some casting flash at the bottom of a bore. The rear won't be a problem to clear up, aside from the metal shavings in a assembly clean engine. The front, about 1/8th inch or more material has to be removed from the place where it hits.

I will be calling Dave tomorrow.

Jake

Last edited by SGTGTO; 07-23-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On any of the Eagle type stroker cranks when put in a 400 block will need the front 'hole' clearanced along with checking for some other interference spots.

I'm surprised you even got the crank in the block without clearancing that front spot.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 07-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Fair enough.

So do I send it back, and get the thrust surface ground, and put the entire car on hold for atleast a few more weeks, or do I sand down the thrust bearing 6 thou?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTGTO
Can I sand down the thrust side of the bearing?

What is the width of the space between thrust surfaces of the crank?

Jake

1: Yes, Flat sand the one side of the bearing. Have done it before on different makes without any issues.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1
On any of the Eagle type stroker cranks when put in a 400 block will need the front 'hole' clearanced along with checking for some other interference spots.

I'm surprised you even got the crank in the block without clearancing that front spot.
It fits, but won't turn very far.

Here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	99098  

Old 07-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Boost Engineer

Years ago it was common, as Ken mentioned to "flat sand" the thrust on a piece of flat glass with some very fine grit sanding paper. Works very well as Ken mentioned. The glass is the key.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree, just open it up to about .004-.005" clearance. I would sand the front sides only. We also add a couple of "teardrops" to the flat rear surface on both halves, and take a jewelers file and add an oil path from the center to the rear one of the bearings at the parting line.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 07-25-2007, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R
I agree, just open it up to about .004-.005" clearance. I would sand the front sides only. We also add a couple of "teardrops" to the flat rear surface on both halves, and take a jewelers file and add an oil path from the center to the rear one of the bearings at the parting line.....Cliff
Cliff. Just make sure the teardrops go all the way thru. My theory is that the thrust bearings that captures the oil create a force on the crank that forces it in one direction and causes wear. That's why I cut back the side surface to help lubricate without containing the oil.

http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiac...earingmod.html

You can notice the scallop from the factory that contains the oil. Most bearing are straight thru without the end mods. But the Ford hi-perf bearing has the side mods.