Old 02-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to crider
Default Shaker base ?

What did the aircleaner on the 74 gto look like? Is it the same as a trans am? Anything else fit? I bought that 74 I was looking at a couple months back but the breather is gone.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not an expert, but I do believe the base is different.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, the base is different. It is taller than a T/A I believe the top is the same. On the gTO's they were functional JOHN

76 GP LJ 400 4BBL T400
78 Chevy 1/2 Ton Truck
Oh yea I love my wife very much
For some reason it got erased when I put it here last time!!!!!! hmmmmmmmm
Old 02-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Senior Chief

I got the actual functional shaker, just no air cleaner

Old 02-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You should be able to use the air cleaner assembly from any early '70s T/A.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks ric. I was hoping it would be the same. I have a couple of spares from trans ams. I don't have the car home yet so I couldn't check them

Old 02-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoric
You should be able to use the air cleaner assembly from any early '70s T/A.
I thought the 74 GTO air cleaner base was taller than TA's, no? Years ago, I tried one from a 75 Trans AM on my 74 GTO and it sat very low out the shaker opening...

Old 02-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rocky Rotella's article in HPP seems to state the '73-'74 T/A bases are the same as the GTO bases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPP article
To accommodate the taller hood height of the Ventura body, a Trans Am shaker hood scoop was modified by riveting a stamped sheetmetal spacer with specific front and rear heights to the bottom to properly position the scoop for the '74 GTO hood. The unique scoop assembly has an internal bracket for solenoid mounting similar to the '70 1/2-72 Trans Am design but features a single solenoid as opposed to the dual-solenoid set up found in the Trans Am. Unlike the Trans Am, which had a separate 12V power lead and ground strap, the '74 GTO had 1 plug with 2 terminals for both power and ground sources. These wires originated from the main wiring harness but were routed through an electric switch, which monitored coolant temperature to limit operation only above 140 degrees. Next to the electric plug was a port to which a vacuum hose supplying manifold vacuum was connected.

The GTO shaker hood scoop assembly, PN 497085, will not interchange with Trans Am applications without modification. With what began on the Trans Am in 1973, the '74 GTO shaker hood scoop was fastened to the single snorkel lower air cleaner base by a large band clamp eliminating the need for welded tabs and wing nuts for scoop retention. Additionally, the '74 GTO lower air cleaner, PN 6488274, was the same base used on '73-74 Trans Am models, which again will not interchange with standard 4-barrel applications due to specific drop.
HPP shaker article.

HTH.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, SC! Learn something new every day!