Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cigar smoke removal

I recently bought a '05 Silverado truck, the last owner was a smoker. The only time it is really detectable is when the air/defrost is running. Not only does it smell bad, it makes it hard to breath. Is there any tricks to getting this smell out of the system?
Thanks,
Bill

Old 02-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First, clean everything you can with the strongest cleaner that won't damage anything (including your lungs). Scrape the insides of the windows with a razor blade. The gunk that comes off will forever cure your desire to smoke.

Then put a bunch of those fabric softener sheets for your the clothes dryer under the seats, change them out every so often until the stink goes away.

Edit: I just read your initial thread in more detail. (Stupid me for not reading more closely). I would think you could put the dyer sheets in the vents somehow.

Another possibility is to call the lot you bought your truck from and ask them. Getting rid of smoke smell is something that any used car lot should be very familiar with.

Last edited by 69goatboy; 02-13-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i had a car that had mildew smell in the air ducts. there is some sort of cleaner that the dealerships use to eliminate those smells before they try to re-sell them. mine was treated and the chemical actually bleached the carpet in a few small spots ! they said it would have to be treated again but i either got used to the smell or it went away.

remember the sienfeld episode with the car that smelled like B.O. ???

Old 02-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had good luck with Atmosklear. http://www.maryellenproducts.com/atmosklear It used to be made here in Minnesota, but apparently they've sold out to this Mary Ellen Products company. You may be able to buy it locally at the hardware store as well.

Anyway, it comes in a spray bottle and it has no odor of its own, so it's not masking the cigar smell with some sickly sweet smell. Works good in the car or at home.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

May have a fungus on the evap core.
There's spray stuff that kills/neutralize it.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 02-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, I got a few friends that work at dealerships, I'll see if they can get me something.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Bill,
Check to see if there is an air filter for the inside of the vehicle. A lot of the new cars have them which would also retain the odor.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As stated above spray into cowl area with heater or a/c on low. We use something called frigge fresh or even Lysol.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:55 PM

Salem is right, all you need to do is turn the heater or a/c on, spray the inside of the car with any type of smell eliminator. Let the car run for several minutes - you won't smell anymore smoke. In a few days the spray smell will be gone too.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

turtlewax makes a spray bottle of stuff called Odor-X.
it is FREAKIN INCREDIBLE!!
give it a try.
also, change the cabin air filter if there is one.