Old 03-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '78 Bonnie steering column drawings

Anyone have a manual that shows maybe an exploded view of the '78 Bonneville steering wheel?
I need to replace a broken turn signal lever and it looks as though it may be a little tricky to get it all apart if you've never done it before.
If I keep having to work on this car, I'm going to wind up buying a service manual for it...

Old 03-04-2008, 03:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cool Steering column

You didn't mention whether you had tilt or regular column but they don't come apart too bad. Don't be afraid of it. The steering wheel comes off just like the other cars, Note the location to the shaft as you will want this in the same spot. As you pull the wheel off there will be a star wheel behind and it is part of the steering lock assembly. you have to push this star wheel down into the column as your best buddy gets the snap ring up and out. Once that is removed then you will have a pretty good view of the turn signal switch. There will be a Phillips screw holding the lever piece to the switch. If you have Tilt wheel and you notice that your upper cup is loose or the wheel feels loose you can remove the turn signal switch, set it out of the way hanging there and there in the back will be 3 screws with weird star heads on them. a 1/4 inch socket will tighten these up, I think you have to go below the spring and pivot pins but it comes apart pretty easy with care. Anyway I hope that I've answered a couple of your questions.....

good luck

Old 03-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Suspended

as you indicated, shop manual has diagrams. Cheap info. what is discribed by rajnwdy is correct.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, that is helpful. I think I'll probably go ahead and get the shop manual. We're probably going to keep the car for a while so I suppose I'll need it again at some point. The car has tilt and cruise control.
Thanks.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just realized that I've had a 1979 Motor Auto Repair Manual on the shelf all this time. Found the info I need in there.
Thanks guys.