Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:42 PM
PY Staff - Tech

Default PA Junkyard on Rt 80???

Hello,
Not sure where to put this but to any PA members, I'm trying to find the name and more exact location of a junkyard off of route 80. One person told me it was right off of and can be seen on route 80 and another person said it's off route 61

Old 03-25-2008, 04:50 PM

Stacey my Son doesn't know the Name but says there's not much left at that yard anymore they've crushed almost everything, and they don't let anyone walk in through the yard anymore. Sorry can't help more.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 03-25-2008, 05:02 PM
PY Staff - Tech

Rats Thanks MA. I'll try to post why tomorrow night

Happy Belated Bday!!!! Sorry I didn't get on last night to see. I'm glad you had a good day!!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Senior Chief

There used to be a huge yard just off I-81 near Scranton. It was on the eastern side of the highway, (up on a hillside) and somewhere in the first twenty miles after you head south from I-84
That was one of the biggest junkyards I ever saw.

Couldn't tell you if it's still there. Last time I viewed it from the hwy, was in the early nineties. I always wished I had time to go inside and look around.
Knowing me, I would have been lost in there for two days.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Injun Tom
There used to be a huge yard just off I-81 near Scranton. It was on the eastern side of the highway, (up on a hillside) and somewhere in the first twenty miles after you head south from I-84

Couldn't tell you if it's still there. Last time I viewed it from the hwy, was in the early nineties. I always wished I had time to go inside and look around.
I have seen the cars scattered across that hill in the late nineties/early 2000 as well....

Old 03-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you means DeNaples? Right off 81 in the Scranton Area?
We went through there about 10 years ago and the oldest car was probably an 84.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:16 PM
PY Staff - Tech

It may have been DeNaples. I got their name from a guy I know with a yard in Bethlehem/Easton, that's the only place he could think of. But you're right, seems it's mostly newer stuff I actually found most of what I need but my Dad was told they had an old Tempest wagon that he would LOVE to get!! I don't know how long ago he was told about this wagon though... Thanks for the replies, we'll keep searching.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Anyone remember a huge junkyard covering a hillside off Route 22/I-78 near Macungie (just west of Allentown)? Pretty close to the old Shaeffer/Strohs/whatever-brand-it-is now brewery. Yard's been gone for at least 25 years, but I was dying to go there when I was a kid.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 03-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Senior Chief

Two words: Google Earth

Old 03-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Injun Tom

First time i saw that place was in 98 on my way to Maple Grove.I could not believe how big it was.
I can remember yards in Jersey back in the early 80's with many many 70-73 birds,where i got most of my parts back in the day.
I can remember seeing a car with heads that had RA on the end exhaust ports .Wish i knew what they where back then!I know now.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like DeNaples.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What about Harry's (Kress)?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkey
It may have been DeNaples. I got their name from a guy I know with a yard in Bethlehem/Easton, that's the only place he could think of. But you're right, seems it's mostly newer stuff .
The yard is in fact DeNaples. Last time I was there I spent 2 days going over everything. Nothing newer than the 80's, except a 57-59 Studebaker stripped to hell.

I assume the yard in Bethlehem/Easton is ABE. He specializes in Pontiacs, never seems to have anything.

There is a yard off 61, one of those easy-pull or Harry's.

Kober's in Washington NJ was THE place, closed in 2000. Old section of the yard had cars from the 30's - 50's. Some even had the original paint. It was the best yard I was ever at. There were countless Pontiacs there, even saw a 62-3 GP stick with console and factory vacuum guage. I told myself I would go back and get that stuff...

If you have time and cash go to State College PA. Call around, they have old parts- but want high dollar.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default DeNaples

Last time I was home visiting family in N.Y. (8/30/07 about 50 miles away I tried to get my brother to take me there to see if there were any goddies for my 67 GTO. He said it had been cleaned up and there weren't any more "OLD CARS" remaining.

#13 Heads -J069
Q'Jet .
8.2 Eaton Posi/3:55

Old 03-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

use to be a big one up off 61 or 904 on the way to my grandmother's in shamokin. old rusty coal country cars. i remember the one that was visible off 22, wasn't ABE. loooong gone though. kobers and S&L in belvidere--the most organized yard ever--all the parts were tagged and trailered (they had 2-3 trailers full of shelves of carbs and intakes, another with just radios etc.) were my favorites in the 80s, along with cozze bros in mansfield nj--they still have a couple older cars. there's also a yard i can't remember the name of hidden in the hills over in PA around Upper Black Eddy. That one may still have some older iron in it. Deerpath and Fatzingers (both along 611) are all newer stuff now. Capitol in Bangor is running out of older stuff and is overpricing what they have. they still do u-pull-it though.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird2
there's also a yard i can't remember the name of hidden in the hills over in PA around Upper Black Eddy.
Haskett or Hazlett, he has information on where parts are if he does not have them himself.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as I know, DeNaples is gone or nearly gone. Last time I was by it there was last year, and there was harly anything there. Back in the late 80s to early 90s there was a huge fire that destroyed just about everything there. Can't remember the exact date. I've driven by that yard many times over the years by truck and car. Never got a chance to stop and look around tho.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.